Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Has The Best Low-Cost Keyboard In A While

Phoronix: Amazon Has The Best Low-Cost Keyboard In A While

If you happen to need a low-cost keyboard that's quite reliable yet simple and doesn't cost much at all, there's a very nice USB keyboard from Amazon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why, oh why, do mfr's still include a numpad? For a non-gamer it's pretty useless and just takes up desktop space and pushes the mouse farther to the right. Any good USB keyboards out there *with* the arrow and home|end|pgup|pgdn islands but *without* the numpad section?

Comment

I don't like the keyboards that raise in the back. A raised front is much better for your hands or just keeping flat. And yes I agree a non numeric pad version would be nice.

Comment

Clever..

Clever way to make a little more Amazon referrals ... and still be useful..

What mice do you use in this setup?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it.. It might be nice (for both us and your referrals) to have a guide to a Phoronix recommended complete system and components...

Comment

Originally posted by Kurosan View Post
          Why, oh why, do mfr's still include a numpad? For a non-gamer it's pretty useless and just takes up desktop space and pushes the mouse farther to the right. Any good USB keyboards out there *with* the arrow and home|end|pgup|pgdn islands but *without* the numpad section?
          I use the numpad almost constantly, and I'm really far from being a gamer. I find it utterly practical. Of course, it's a matter of taste, and I don't deny a model without the numpad would be better for people who doesn't use it, to achieve better use of desktop space.

Comment

That's an... odd think to make an article on, but OK.

Originally posted by Kurosan View Post
            Yea, I had the same issue when trying to find a compact keyboard to go with my tablet PC. For some odd reason all the keyboards have a numpad, which makes them super long and thus not portable. Though on my desktop I do like the numpad, which comes in handy for those extra key bindings that I don't need to use too often, but which are still useful to have (like voice commands/vehicle horns in games).

Comment

Not a keyboard for real users

This is a keyboard that schools and workplaces can buy by the hundreds for cheap.

However, this is not a keyboard that a professional computer user wants to use.

You should get a keyboard with mechanical switches.
              Filco and Cherry supposedly have some good keyboards I've heard.

Cherry have the MX series of switches, Blue, Red, Black, Brown, Clear, White - each with different properties (clicky, tacile, actuation force).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This is a keyboard that schools and workplaces can buy by the hundreds for cheap.

However, this is not a keyboard that a professional computer user wants to use.

You should get a keyboard with mechanical switches.
                Filco and Cherry supposedly have some good keyboards I've heard.

Cherry have the MX series of switches, Blue, Red, Black, Brown, Clear, White - each with different properties (clicky, tacile, actuation force).
                Well, the idea is it being low cost and reliable (as in durability), not being suitable for professional use.
                Also, I don't know what specific professional use you mean; probably this ones aren't suitable for professional typing, but I use common keyboards for programming and they never got in my way. I can see the benefit, after reading a bit about them, but ultimately it doesn't seem as a "must" to me.

Comment

Well, I think I might pick one of these up for my Dad (who has gone through a decently expensive MS one and Logitech one lately), and maybe another one as a backup for myself - always good to have a replacement for something as critical as a keyboard that you know will just work.

Comment

normal keyboard

normal low end keyboard. the store on my street have a lot of this with lower prices

Comment

Working...
                    X