Amazon Has The Best Low-Cost Keyboard In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go with a Unicomp keyboard.
    They bought the manufacturing line from IBM model M keyboards in Lexington.
    It's definitely worth the money.

And, at the same time, you don't support sweatshop-made hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      I'd go with a Unicomp keyboard.
      They bought the manufacturing line from IBM model M keyboards in Lexington.
      It's definitely worth the money.

And, at the same time, you don't support sweatshop-made hardware.
      They make good keyboards indeed. But better to get original tens of years old authentic IBM Model M.

I however tested Razer mechanical keyboard, and it felt quite good while being much more silent than the M. Almost had to buy it.

Comment

Thanks anyway

Thanks, I've been looking for a low profile type keyboard like this. Don't like the 'Windows' key though, I usually Sharpie the logo out. I might actually get the one Kivada recommended, I'd rather support people making Linux keyboards than be reminded that I bought a NSA/Windows product.

Guy's, Amazon doesn't even list Linux in its indie game section when some of the games actually support Linux. I really appreciate the Keyboard review Micheal, but thats not a way to support Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
          Gamers don't even use numpad that much
          I guess you've never played roguelikes...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Well yes, the numpad iis also very useful for those who are not native English speakers and have accented symbols. They usually replace the number row, so you can enter numbers with the numpad, and accented characters with the number row.
            Uh what, people actually do that? Why not just get a localized keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              This is a keyboard that schools and workplaces can buy by the hundreds for cheap.

However, this is not a keyboard that a professional computer user wants to use.

You should get a keyboard with mechanical switches.
              Filco and Cherry supposedly have some good keyboards I've heard.

Cherry have the MX series of switches, Blue, Red, Black, Brown, Clear, White - each with different properties (clicky, tacile, actuation force).
              i would say with some authority that the shape of the keyboard itself is more important than the switches. i use a split keyboard with a raised front which is a precursor to one of the ms natural keyboards. My first one took 10 years of every day use to wear out, I still have one extra. that was the only way i could eliminate wrist and elbow pain. i have 2 ibm m series keyboards i don't even use.
              Last edited by bnolsen; 30 July 2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                I guess you've never played roguelikes...
                vi like key bindings. you must be fairly new to roguelikes the early ones provided these by default.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Uh what, people actually do that? Why not just get a localized keyboard?
                  In case you want to type in more than just the local language.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                    vi like key bindings. you must be fairly new to roguelikes the early ones provided these by default.
                    I played Larn and Nethack in the early 90s, don't know if you consider that "fairly new"... and yes, they were played with vi keys, especially since the VT-100 terminals we used didn't have any numpads...

Still, apart from nostalgia or baby duck syndrome, there's really no point in using the vi keys in modern roguelikes, the numpad is much more convenient and easy to use, especially for games that have lots of keybindings and you want to have the vi keys available for command keys.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                      In case you want to type in more than just the local language.
                      Well if you have to constantly type in two languages with very different alphabets, I think it's better to just get two keyboards...

Comment

Working...
                      X