No announcement yet.

Google's Chromecast Already Exploited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So that's kind of a wifi card connected via usb? Pop it into a tv to watch internet? Controlled without mouse?

Comment

Originally posted by ortango View Post
      honestly how do people not know about the roku?
      Even if you only just read the article you would know about it...
      Roku runs linux and has been streaming netflix natively for years. among other devices...
      this is absolutely not new and if you're curious just google around.
      I must admit that I haven't but I've never looked into it all that deeply. The question still stands though. How is it done?

Comment

I'd rather just use an HDMI cable instead, honestly... Or, you know, custom build an XBMC box.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I'd rather just use an HDMI cable instead, honestly... Or, you know, custom build an XBMC box.
          I would normally agree, but for a price that is less than many HDMI cables, it is almost tempting.

Comment

I would hope to see software to allow this thing to stream any content. DVD's, webpages, presentations, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              I was never too keen on that term, "exploit", when regarding stuff I own.
              It's a shame-based word. I always felt the same way about "abusing" a drug.

Comment

Great job side lining the whole thread c117152. Do we seriously have to debate the use of the English language?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  So there is no official way to install software on it?
                  You need to exploit bugs in order to hack it?

It would be pretty cool, if you could install Debian or Ubuntu Server on it.
                  Then maybe it would be an alternative to the Raspberry Pi.
                  There are alternatives to raspberry pi. Alternatives that are actually useful (rPi is so underpowered that it is practically useless for anything except controlling a board full of relays).

This one gets my vote: http://www.inforcecomputing.com/prod...o/ifc6410.html
                  Yes, its a little bit more expensive than an rPi. 4.25x the price.
                  But it gives you about a THOUSAND times the... everything.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                    So that's kind of a wifi card connected via usb? Pop it into a tv to watch internet? Controlled without mouse?
                    Its HDMI on one side, and wifi on the other. It doesn't actually have a USB for anything besides providing POWER. It uses your phone/tablet/computer as a remote control and streams stupid/useless videos from the interwebz only. This device is such a piece of crap that it doesn't even do wifi display -- if you want to display your phone's screen, you need to send it out to the internet and back via something they added to youtube.

When I first read the announcements about this device, it sounded like it might be something actually useful, like a wifi-display dongle. If it WAS a wifi display dongle, then you'd have the ability to originate the video from your smartphone/tablet/laptop/etc., which would *include* the same web video junk, but also everything else you can run on your phone/tablet/laptop/etc.

Not only that, but most TV's these days have something like this built in, and one that actually works with the TV's remote control rather than needing something silly like a smartphone to operate.

This device is basically useless.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      I would normally agree, but for a price that is less than many HDMI cables, it is almost tempting.
                      At the same time, unlike the good ol' cable, due to its wireless nature it's not as reliable and causes interference. Where I live, there is already so much interference that the actual home wireless network of mine doesn't reach the upper floor... Also, a cable is capable of showing everything, not just some webpages and some types of media. And it doesn't use any power, to boot.

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                      I was never too keen on that term, "exploit", when regarding stuff I own. Woman are exploited sexually; Employees exploit their workers; Experts find exploits in security\secure systems... It seems wholly inappropriate when you actually go out, buy a product with your own hard earned money, and then for using it the way you want, you're said to be exploiting someone.
                      Interestingly enough, this word in Lithuanian ("eksploatuoti") has an entirely different connotation than the English one. Here it means "to make use of", for example to make use of (exploit) raw materials in order to build something. The connotation of this word here is generally positive.

Comment

Working...
                      X