Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adrenochrome
    replied
    i bought a full-hd/i7 dell laptop 2 years ago, for 1750?, i'm sorry to say that but i never saw such a poor quality product (dead pixel, poor finishing : case parts didnt match firmly , screen hinge play ...)
    The worst part was the after sale service : so incompetent, that when calling them, half of the time they didnt even know the existence of the highest-end model of the brand
    it ended in lot of money loss in useless calls, they never accepted a return(for refund or repair) and only offered me to take a screwdriver and to open the computer with them by phone in order to try to fix the various hinges !!

i had no other alternative than re-selling it immediately for half price instead of crying every time i would see the laptop (i need my computer every second i'm not sleeping)

maybe this kind of behavior is ok for 300-500e laptops but certainly not for >1500? products
    and maybe the laptop dell division is different from the desktop division

so, perhaps it's only my personal story but my conclusion is that dell only want your money and dont care at all about your problems with their products, and i will never recommend anyone to buy a so called "high-end" laptop from dell

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    The windows version is still 50,- cheaper

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    That's a little more than I am willing to pay for a laptop that doesn't have a trackpoint or an ethernet port.

Seriously, I am getting tired of Thinkpad, you would think that after 10+ years that someone else might get a clue and try to also make a good laptop that isn't a ripoff, espcially now that Lenovo is has risen to number one??!

Leave a comment:

• orawas
    replied
    Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    Seconded. Now is NOT the time to buy a laptop, wait for Haswell. It'll have an idle wattage better than an ARM chip and really good integrated graphics, *particularly* if you're willing to wait another 6 months for GT3.
    Exactly why I'm waiting on Haswell.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    Seconded. Now is NOT the time to buy a laptop, wait for Haswell. It'll have an idle wattage better than an ARM chip and really good integrated graphics, *particularly* if you're willing to wait another 6 months for GT3. I'm building an Ivy Bridge desktop though, because I'm going to be using a GeForce 600 or 700 series card, at which point the integrated graphics isn't being used, and the idle power is already shot. What's left is *maybe* a tiny performance bump on the cpu, which isn't worth paying an extra $100 for.

Leave a comment:

• orawas
    replied
    Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Isn't that kind of really expensive?
    Considering the build quality and the features (the screen, the ram, the i7 cpu and the SSD), and the fact that it is preinstalled with ubuntu and available in the US market, then no IMO this isn't too expensive. It's also cheaper than the windows version, so it's not like they are trying to rip off linux enthusiasts. I'm also impressed that the front page for that product actually looks like they cared about it, rather than being thrown together and full of errors like they used to be for their ubuntu offerings in previous years.

That being said this, like all ultrabooks, are not for everyone. So to each their own. Also, I'm waiting on haswell. So assuming they don't simply cancel this with their privatization plans, I'll be getting this with haswell.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Haswell will bring a whole new generation of machines. Now is NOT the time to buy a new computer.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Very. The only interesting thing is the 13" 1920x1080 screen.

Personally I'd ather have something based around the AMD A10-4600M / HD7660G w/ 8Gb of DDR3 1866 and an open mPCIe card slot for a Broadcom BCM70015 CrystalHD.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Haswell is gonna rip Ivy Bridge to shreds (is my guess) Also for that price...I'd seriously get a Macbook Air first.

^And say that FROM an original-release Dell XPS 13z currently running Arch.

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Interesting, although right now Haswell is more interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X