Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    That would be because it's an ultrabook which you should know better than to get anyway. Standard consumer grade notebooks such as the HP dv6 don't really have this problem, and it sounds like the business laptops are in a better position than those, and no despite Intel's attempts Ultrabooks are not the way of the future, as is shown by just how hard they've been flopping.
    I'm not going to touch a Lenovo or HP notebook with an 800m-long pole simply because they use a BIOS / UEFI whitelist that blocks the system from booting if you insert in a non-whitelisted WiFi card.

And my Intel cards I purchased are not those that are in the Lenovo / HP whitelists: those would cost a lot more than the generic Intel card of the same model.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      I'm not going to touch a Lenovo or HP notebook with an 800m-long pole simply because they use a BIOS / UEFI whitelist that blocks the system from booting if you insert in a non-whitelisted WiFi card.

And my Intel cards I purchased are not those that are in the Lenovo / HP whitelists: those would cost a lot more than the generic Intel card of the same model.
      Well it's not like they're the only OEMs in the world, and let's be completely honest here... ALL of the OEMs are crap in some way or another, and basically you have to evaluate to see which OEM has the least crappy product for your needs at the time you're evaluating a new purchase, because the laptop market has not opened up to builders yet and thus you can't have an actually good product.

Comment

Working...
      X