X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    But talking seriously too, the total addressable market is way too small. Say Corp A creates such a laptop for 2k and ships it with Ubuntu.

How many of the 1% of linux users would consider it? Let's be generous and say 5%.
    Then how many of those would abandon it because a competitor offers a better keyboard/trackpad/more ports? Over half, given the tech-inclined audience.

You just couldn't sell much of a single model. And even with a fuller range, the costs would skyrocket over the sales.
    Maybe a machine like that could attract other customers also if its well designed and does what its supposed to do well. See for example how many people switched to a Mac. And yes 2k is steep but even in the 1k range we don't have something. (Maybe the dell sputnik but thats an experiment in a way)

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    I'm getting old - my eyesight wouldn't give me any improvement for a retina display compared to a regular fullHD one at 24".

But talking seriously too, the total addressable market is way too small. Say Corp A creates such a laptop for 2k and ships it with Ubuntu.

How many of the 1% of linux users would consider it? Let's be generous and say 5%.
    Then how many of those would abandon it because a competitor offers a better keyboard/trackpad/more ports? Over half, given the tech-inclined audience.

You just couldn't sell much of a single model. And even with a fuller range, the costs would skyrocket over the sales.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Sure, clearly the four or five persons that would buy such a 2k linux laptop completely justify the effort in creating such

Tell me that you wouldn't like running your command line on a HiDPI display. Imagine how crisp all the ascii art will look like and the possibilities of something like that

Seriously i think we need something with good linux support on the mid to high end market. No manufacturer seems to care.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Sure, clearly the four or five persons that would buy such a 2k linux laptop completely justify the effort in creating such

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Good for you, but Hon Hai Precision Industry have problems with Linux support in the past http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249 and there is no guarantee for proper Linux support in other their products (except mentioned nT-A3500). That why products with proper BIOS/UEFI and guaranteed Linux support, like ALUSA, System76 and ZaReason, is still important.
    What seems puzzling is that many linux hackers (kernel and otherwise) and commoners seem to buy Apple hardware and noone seems to be venturing/looking into the market of Hi-end linux machines.

I know that i would be all over a machine with MBPr specs that will run linux flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by coder111 View Post
    I've been running AMD E-350 based FoxConn nT-A3500 machine for a year and a half now. All 100% Open Source, running Debian, with open source Radeon drivers. It works great.
    Good for you, but Hon Hai Precision Industry have problems with Linux support in the past http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249 and there is no guarantee for proper Linux support in other their products (except mentioned nT-A3500). That why products with proper BIOS/UEFI and guaranteed Linux support, like ALUSA, System76 and ZaReason, is still important.

Leave a comment:

• coder111
    replied
    Better buy AMD based barebone directly from Foxconn instead

Hi,

I don't see much benefit in buying this thing from ALUSA, when you can buy just as good FoxConn barebone with FoxConn brand, with AMD CPU, probably for less money. OK, ALUSA might have linux preinstalled, but I imagine most Phoronix readers can do that themselves.

I've been running AMD E-350 based FoxConn nT-A3500 machine for a year and a half now. All 100% Open Source, running Debian, with open source Radeon drivers. It works great. I'm using it to play movies on TV, as a home internet router/firewall, as a download machine for longer downloads and generic home server. I didn't have any issues installing Debian Sid on it.

Oh, and it looks like FoxConn now has two more AMD based barebones:

Xoilac là trang web hoàn hảo để xem bóng đá và xem video trực tiếp độ phân giải cao. Đặc biệt, không có bất cứ quảng cáo xuất hiện trên Xoilac, vì vậy người xem vẫn thoải mái thưởng thức trận bóng đá mà không lo bị quấy rầy bởi quảng cáo. Ngoài ra, với đội ngũ nhiều chuyên môn, những dự báo chuẩn xác cho từng trận đấu bóng đá liên tục được tung ra. Sẽ lưu lại dấu ấn sâu đậm trong tâm trí người xem với màu sắc sinh động, âm thanh chân thực và cuốn hút trên Xoilac.

--Coder

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    Here's the thing about pricing: everything costs more in Europe because the prices are converted from USD using the following formula:

price in USD - $ + €

Example:

AwesomeGPU price: $250

Price in Europe: $250 - $ = 250, 250 + € = 250€

no, because the portuguese unlike, say, the americans or chinese that want to sell higher quantities at a lower profit, they prefer to sell much lower quantities at a much much higher profit margin

that and the 23% tax rate

which by the way you wouldn't have to pay since you are buying it outside EU. But again, porkies have no business management skills or anything, and that's why it's a bankrupt country that has to buy stuff from china and doesn't even bother rebrand it.

Leave a comment:

• Zplay
    replied
    echo '$250' | sed 's/^\$//' | sed 's/$/?/'

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Here's the thing about pricing: everything costs more in Europe because the prices are converted from USD using the following formula:

price in USD - $ + €

Example:

AwesomeGPU price: $250

Price in Europe: $250 - $ = 250, 250 + € = 250€

Leave a comment:

Working...
X