Wacom Tablet Support Might Be Axed From Qt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Regardless of how many people actually use linux creative tools (gimp inkscape etc) support for popular devices like wacom tablets is a must if you want these programs -and linux- to gain traction.
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    The usual conundrum of no dev being able to draw (and thus owning a tablet) and no artist being able to code.
    Nicely put.
    I have a tablet that I use from time to time and it would be sad if things stopped working. The question is, can Wacom do something about it or is it a pure matter of Qt or GTK?
    And when the wacoms are broken then probably the others are too.

And it is not even just krita, GIMP or inkscape which would benefit from working tablets, these newer tablets can also act like touchpads.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
      http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.8.html
      GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+2 that unfortunately has partially broken support for graphics tablets such as Wacom. If your graphic tablet doesn't work in GIMP 2.8 as it should, we recommend downgrading to 2.6 until we release GIMP 3.0 that relies on GTK+3 which has fully functional support for advanced input devices.
      Guess I've lucked out then as I've had zero problems with my Wacom Bamboo Touch in Gimp or any other program, still it's good that you can use 2.6 should you have problems while waiting for gimp 3.0.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      And it is not even just krita, GIMP or inkscape which would benefit from working tablets, these newer tablets can also act like touchpads.
      To be honest I never use my Wacom as a touchpad even though it's touted as 'touch', I use it in painting programs and Blender for 3d sculpting, I actually turn off 'touch' when I use it by issuing the 'xwatcom set touch off' command as it just gets in the way for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Meh, Linux DEs don't even support ICC profiles, you have to set them per application. You have to be pretty masochistic to choose Linux for serious graphics work in the first place.
        Ingin merasakan sensasi bermain slot online tanpa risiko? STARS77 hadir dengan demo slot gratis! Temukan beragam permainan slot seru dari provider ternama, pelajari strateginya, dan bersenang-senanglah! #slotdemo #gratis #STARS77

Ingin merasakan sensasi bermain slot online tanpa risiko? STARS77 hadir dengan demo slot gratis! Temukan beragam permainan slot seru dari provider ternama, pelajari strateginya, dan bersenang-senanglah! #slotdemo #gratis #STARS77

Comment

Nice. It should be included by default, but it seems things have improved a lot since I have last checked.

Comment

"Nice. It should be included by default, but it seems things have improved a lot since I have last checked. "
            Yeah. I don't care about ICC personally, but I was real surprised to see all this color management suddenly show up in the newest Ubuntu release or two. I didn't think anyone was working on it, except right in the Gimp. Then -- bam! There it is.

As for tablet support -- it'd be a real shame to lose pressure support. But, that said, some of the Qt stuff IS quite broken -- the multitouch was causing Qt to crash every time I tried to run any X app on a remote X server -- I had to downgrade Qt for it to work. And I don't even have a single touchpad or tablet on the local or remote system in question. The number of paid Qt developers has been slashed, the remaining programmers can only do so much. If this stuff's 99% done, someone's welcome to finish it but I think disabling it until it works (if not feature-complete, at least not causing other failures) is the right thing to do.

Comment

Nice. It should be included by default, but it seems things have improved a lot since I have last checked.

Just for the sake of completion. And yes, it's in by default.

Comment

I had some major issues with the latest Ubuntu 12.04.

MyPaint upon selecting a tool wouldn't draw.

So I don't know if it was GTK3 or X., or Unity/compiz...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  http://projects.gnome.org/gnome-color-manager/

Just for the sake of completion. And yes, it's in by default.
                  If only I wasn't using KDE... It seems there are no PPAs available, you have to compile from source. Not that big of a deal, someone determined to use it will use it. But like I said, some finishing touches are still missing. Hell, it should be made part of KDE anyway.

Comment

If only I wasn't using KDE... It seems there are no PPAs available, you have to compile from source. Not that big of a deal, someone determined to use it will use it. But like I said, some finishing touches are still missing. Hell, it should be made part of KDE anyway.
                    Is there are special reason why you want to use the gnome color management system? Why not use the one from KDE?

For the KDE color management system, there are ubuntu packages available: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...getdeb/oyranos

Comment

If only I wasn't using KDE...
                      Hell, it should be made part of KDE anyway.
                      it is:
                      In less than one month of coding I’m pleased to announce the first colord-kde release! We don’t have feature parity with Gnome tools yet but we have all that it’s needed to make u…

I've got it here default on 4.8 on fedora.

Comment

Working...
                      X