OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    For starters the maximum frequency of a Tegra 3 quad core is 1.4 GHz with a 520MHz GPU per core. Then consider the 12 core GPU in a basic Tegra 3.

I wasn't implying the Tegra was better than the xbox 360 at graphics but coming up to range., especially when scoped with Xbox 1. The range is 40-80% in my guess. Maybe I'm wrong as I really haven't done thorough research.

NVIDIA Jetson is the world’s leading AI computing platform for GPU-accelerated parallel processing in mobile embedded systems.

Check this out:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5762/n...ox-360-by-2014
    With Tegra 3 you are at max 12GFLOPS. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5663/a...ew-apple-ipad/

I was surprised to see how low performing this chips are(30-20 times slower than xbox 360 gpu), especially taking the age of the 360 into account. But then they are made for low consumption in first place and after all it is the software that counts.

Comment

quick question:

if I install a normal linux distro (like ubuntu) on an ARM nvidia tegra tablet, will I have full GPU acceleration , since am using the linux kernel or is the acceleration only available on android ?

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        if I install a normal linux distro (like ubuntu) on an ARM nvidia tegra tablet, will I have full GPU acceleration , since am using the linux kernel or is the acceleration only available on android ?
        The Android kernel is a forked version of the Linux kernel, and as such it accepts featrues and patches that do not go into the Linux kernel and vice versa. The two do communicate but they are not the same. That is the main reason why Android is not actually Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          With Tegra 3 you are at max 12GFLOPS. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5663/a...ew-apple-ipad/

I was surprised to see how low performing this chips are(30-20 times slower than xbox 360 gpu), especially taking the age of the 360 into account. But then they are made for low consumption in first place and after all it is the software that counts.
          12 GFLOPS per GPU core? It all depends on how many GPU cores are engaged in the SOC version ordered by the device maker. Example 12 GPU cores x 12GFLOPS is 144GFLOPS, but as one should know panellising video hardware doesn't give a 100% increase in speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the 12GFLOPS is for the basic 12 GPU core Tegra 3?

If you check out the link below I was correct in my guess that the Tegra3 is around 40% to 80% the might of the Xbox360;

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            The Android kernel is a forked version of the Linux kernel, and as such it accepts featrues and patches that do not go into the Linux kernel and vice versa. The two do communicate but they are not the same. That is the main reason why Android is not actually Linux.
            Be carefull to not spread FUD.

First of all, the android kernel (used to be and will be again) hosted on android.kernel.org. It was indeed forked a few years ago, I believe it was because they did development behind doors initially or what not, but most importantly needed specific features (wakelock) not available in the kernel at that time.

In the beginning the android kernel features lived in the staging area, but after a while it was decided to remove this from the kernel as they failed to agree on how to merge and in its current state it wouldn't happen.

Having said that, they have been quite busy to slowly re-merge the android changes back into the kernel.

So while the android linux kernel is not the vanilla kernel, it's a linux kernel as much as the linux-media, the linux-alancox and the linux-concolivas tree's are valid linux kernels. They have forked (for now) but aren't that different and keep pulling the latest linux kernel to keep in sync. But yes, besides wakelock and some other changes, it IS the same kernel, but obviously not 100% vanilla 'linus' kernel.

Comment

12 GFLOPS per GPU core? It all depends on how many GPU cores are engaged in the SOC version ordered by the device maker. Example 12 GPU cores x 12GFLOPS is 144GFLOPS, but as one should know panellising video hardware doesn't give a 100% increase in speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the 12GFLOPS is for the basic 12 GPU core Tegra 3?

If you check out the link below I was correct in my guess that the Tegra3 is around 40% to 80% the might of the Xbox360;
              http://www.anandtech.com/show/5762/n...ox-360-by-2014
              12GFLOPS are max for the Tegra 3(Quadcore ARM CortexA9) which has 12 shader units and has been released end 2011. There are no other versions afaik. Please also notice that the chart in the link you have posted is logarithmic and doesn't contain any SOC names/information(-> marketing BS).

Comment

Some times the best way to look at something is to see its reverse argument.

Example, You have an new Android tablet, or a new released Ubuntu 12.04 tablet. Which one do you buy?
                You buy the one with Android on it, because (1) the second option is imaginary and will never exist, (2) the second one is a kludge of crap that doesn't really work right with a touchscreen and needs to be hacked on for weeks before it begins to function.

Also, you can run GNU (if from ubuntu or any other ARM distro) on any Android tablet. Yeah, you know why? Its because the LINUX KERNEL is still the LINUX KERNEL.

I'd buy the real Linux one, and that's Ubuntu in this case. Real Linux could be argued as your own built kernel, as well.
                Guess what? They're BOTH real.

Lets not forget Android runs a Java layer for all its commercial and public content. I don't call that real GNU/Linux.
                You said the magic word... OF COURSE ITS NOT GNU, NOT EVEN FAKE GNU. ITS ANDROID.

And you really don't know much about Android, do you? Java is only used for LIGHT stuff, basic UI's, things like that. All the heavy lifting is done by native binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  The Android kernel is *NOT* forked. It was for a while, but the Android parts have been (or are being) merged back in.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    12GFLOPS are max for the Tegra 3(Quadcore ARM CortexA9) which has 12 shader units and has been released end 2011. There are no other versions afaik. Please also notice that the chart in the link you have posted is logarithmic and doesn't contain any SOC names/information(-> marketing BS).
                    Yeah I noticed there was no y axis name, and the values are expo.

If you read the comments, people calculate the values are based on xbox1, with the Mobile charting being iPhone to Tegra3. The direction is mapped on SOC including more GPU cores as time progresses.

In the specs there is 12 GPU cores per Tegra3.

NVIDIA Jetson is the world’s leading AI computing platform for GPU-accelerated parallel processing in mobile embedded systems.

Comment

That kickstarter just keeps going, 3.1 million and growing by the minute.

I admit I got caught up in the excitement and I ordered one. I don't game much these days but I hope this will be a device my wife and I can have some 2 player fun with.

Comment

Working...
                      X