OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael
    It's an interesting open game console design, but will likely be trumped in the coming year by something much more interesting.
    That's a steaming hot statement *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      That's a steaming hot statement *cough*
      I see what you did there... :-)

Comment

I wish the hardware(Tegra3) would be a bit more powerful. But for 99$ it looks like a great product.

What would be the competition? There are pads and phones with hdmi out. All they would need is a good controller(usb/bluetooth?). But then you won't get a pad/phone for this price.

PS: I bet the something much more interesting coming next year will be in a different price segment.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          I think you're massively confused about what this console is for or capable of. It's a cheap crappy Android phone in a box. It is not a gamer class PC. This hardware is going to have trouble running 1990's style games at today's expected TV resolutions. "Advanced" gaming is not part of the target market for this device.

I also don't really consider this much of a Linux device. It's an Android device. It has the Linux kernel. It has absolutely nothing else in common with any other Linux device. Not to say it isn't cool, but it's about as much Linux as the XBox is Windows.
          I belive it's an Allwinner A10 with mali 400 GPU, so it's not THAT crappy ... if it IS that. Not sure where I read that. It was being compared to: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/android...137012?item=24 which is actually cheaper, sans controllers.

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          The controller is too bland. Yeah it's got aesthetic design, but lacks being viable for certain games. Why on earth do they keep making boomerang shapes. You only need at most one handle, and that should be on the left side, leaving the right for direct hand access, as was available in the SNES controller, one of the best controllers ever released, especially for fighting games like Street Fighter.

I think this project could work, but they really need to set standards. The controller is one standard they need to cement. Another allow keyboard and mouse for advanced gaming, like mmorpgs.
          Because as quoted above, it has been found to be extremely ergonomic. And at most one handle? On the left side? Are you serious? I'm a righty, but I'm sure there's plenty of lefties that are quite happy the controller is pretty symmetrical, or can be reasonable well be used by lefties.

Comment

Maybe they should sell it with xbmc installed, usually games for android require a touch screen, why should somebody want to use another controller?

Comment

Interesting idea. However, I expect we are going to see more and more android phones with built-in wireless display technology like the galaxy SIII has now, and the wireless display adapters are cheaper than this. So there isn't really any advantage to this over just getting a bluetooth controller and wireless display, and the latter approach has the advantage that you can still use touch-based games.

Add to that the fact that manufacturers are releasing TV's, bluray players, and set-top boxes with android built-in, and we will likely see that continue. Then we have google releasing the Nexus Q, and we will probably see similar third-part products like that coming out.

So I don't see much place for a dedicated gaming system running android.
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 11 July 2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                I think you're massively confused about what this console is for or capable of. It's a cheap crappy Android phone in a box. It is not a gamer class PC. This hardware is going to have trouble running 1990's style games at today's expected TV resolutions. "Advanced" gaming is not part of the target market for this device.
                It's a multi core Tegra 3. That is probably around xbox360 gfx quality. When I say advance I mean interactive games that require more buttons then a basic controller has, and the ability to quickly type in sentences and commands.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                  Because as quoted above, it has been found to be extremely ergonomic. And at most one handle? On the left side? Are you serious? I'm a righty, but I'm sure there's plenty of lefties that are quite happy the controller is pretty symmetrical, or can be reasonable well be used by lefties.
                  Your argument is mute, as there is a distinction from left to right, regarding buttons and d-pad. Never seen a pad that flips the button config to suit left and right handed players, so expecting a left handed person to not have a handle on the right side isn't not an issue.

I'm saying if they want a handle then put it on the left side only, an L shape or gun on its side, that way you can free up access, and keep a thin profile at the important side.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                    It's a multi core Tegra 3. That is probably around xbox360 gfx quality.
                    Are you trying compare Tegra 3 GPU (7,2 GFLOPS@300MHz) and Xbox 360 GPU (240 GFLOPS@500MHz)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      Ture enough, too many people think Android = Linux.
                      And YOU seem to think that Linux = GNU/Linux.
                      Android/Linux is as much Linux as GNU/Linux, but Android/Linux is NOT= GNU/Linux.

Linux is the KERNEL, which can run Android (popular, outsells MSWONDOZE 4:1) or GNU (unpopular, out[sold/used/?] by MSWONDOZE 10:1) on top of it.
                      Last edited by droidhacker; 11 July 2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X