Searching for a powerfull Gnu/Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    WiFi require Broadcom proprietary driver, but in Ubuntu/Kubuntu there is 1-Click utility Additional Drivers, that help install this driver.
    I thought broadcom "suddenly" woke up and opensourced at some point? Or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      I thought broadcom "suddenly" woke up and opensourced at some point? Or am I wrong?
      I am afraid that doesn't happen in near future.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Acer Aspire 5560G/7560G have pretty good Linux support (just don't forget to install latest BIOS that include fixes for Linux support). The only thing you need to do - disable discrete GPU in BIOS to increase battery life (more than 2 hours).
        WiFi require Broadcom proprietary driver, but in Ubuntu/Kubuntu there is 1-Click utility Additional Drivers, that help install this driver.
        I don't have a good experience with Acer's :S... They start to have heat problems very soon and very often :S
        The only Acer that I've had and with didn't get any problem was an Acer with an Intel GPU, because with Nvidia and ATI GPU all of them that I have tried (the Acer Aspire 5xxx series), all had problems with heat :S....

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          They didn't opensourced their drivers, the difference is that now we have better opensource broadcom drivers, nothing more (from my point of view), and I am talking of th experience I had and still have with my Broadcom BCM4313 from my Asus 1215N.

Comment

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
            I don't have a good experience with Acer's :S... They start to have heat problems very soon and very often :S
            The only Acer that I've had and with didn't get any problem was an Acer with an Intel GPU, because with Nvidia and ATI GPU all of them that I have tried (the Acer Aspire 5xxx series), all had problems with heat :S....
            At this moment discrete GPU disabled and temperature of this laptop is below 50?C. Cold enough?

Comment

I personally would recommend an AMD Fusion based laptop because it performs really well at least from a laptop point of view. My laptop only has a minor bug with rebooting that causes the bios to screw up, however the laptop still works when everything is finished.

anyways, the latest development with xrandr will improve the drivers on the fusion hybrid laptops.

Anyways, i recommend looking at the following laptop...
              lenovo IdeaPad Z575 (12992PU) Notebook
              Buy Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad AMD A6-Series A6-3420M (1.5GHz) 6GB Memory 500GB HDD AMD Radeon HD 6650M 15.6" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Z575 (12992PU) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                Get a ThinkPad with Intel graphics (no optimus). Then you can't go wrong.
                This! Friends of mine have recommended this setup with great results. I myself am also waiting for Lenovo to release their Ivy Bridge laptops so I can buy one of them.

Like most people said, get something with Intel integrated graphics. The drivers are really easy to deal with and won't make you cry like ATI (sorry, but that's my experience with them). Stay away from anything AMD, anything non-standard, any obscure hardware (which will give you headaches) and you shouldn't have any problems running Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
                  This! Friends of mine have recommended this setup with great results. I myself am also waiting for Lenovo to release their Ivy Bridge laptops so I can buy one of them.

Like most people said, get something with Intel integrated graphics. The drivers are really easy to deal with and won't make you cry like ATI (sorry, but that's my experience with them). Stay away from anything AMD, anything non-standard, any obscure hardware (which will give you headaches) and you shouldn't have any problems running Linux.
                  I would actually recommend going with the AMD. Currently, AMD offers the best choice for the longer term because of the fact that documentation exists for most of the AMD graphics cards. Also, some people know how to make reasonable requests and commentary to amd. One such example I saw recently involves requesting that AMD start testing the closed source driver against piglit [1], and it looks like AMD might actually start using this test suite internally. This would eventually lead to the closed source driver having similar rendering results as the open source drivers. This will probably result in greatly improved opengl rendering results when dealing with OpenGL 1.1 to 2.1 tests, and eventually the OpenGL 3.x to 4.x series of the standard when piglit finally catches up.

[1] http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1282297

Comment

It is indeed a comlpex choice :S

In one side we have the new Intel GPU's from the Ivy Bridge architecture that are better than my current ION 2 (Nvidia GT218) from my Asus 1215N which is pretty awesome (mostly the HD 4000 from the Ivy Bridge), and they've got the best opensource drivers (normal it is Intel we are talking about).

And on the other side, we've got ATI with their powerfull GPU (that can cost less than the Intel parts and be more powerfull), but that we can't use at 100% because of a lack on the OpenSource drivers, but that are been working on, thanks to the new Documentation.

Ati can still be the best solution in terms of price and performance in my Opinion.

Comment

@aliasbody
                      If you need the laptop ASAP, go Intel SNB. AMD's good, if you go windoz way. As for Linux, AMD (open source GPU driver) is still not mature, and wont mature ~2year from the date you buy the laptop (unless you use catalyst). Hope we will have broader option, soon!

Comment

Working...
                      X