Windows issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows issue

This is m first visit to this forum and hope I am in the right place to solve my problem. I have Dell XPS desktop running Vista home premium. After installing new DVD burner, Windows found new hardware, it is listed in Device Manager, but can't find driver software for this device. Have gone to hardware manufacturer site and they want me to buy a program, Driver Manager, to get the driver. This does not seem right to me. So alas I have come to open source community for help. With out DVD player I can't install software for burner or new printer. Can anyone here help me out of this situation? Thanks in advance. Woodfar

Originally posted by woodfar View Post
    This is m first visit to this forum and hope I am in the right place to solve my problem. I have Dell XPS desktop running Vista home premium. After installing new DVD burner, Windows found new hardware, it is listed in Device Manager, but can't find driver software for this device. Have gone to hardware manufacturer site and they want me to buy a program, Driver Manager, to get the driver. This does not seem right to me. So alas I have come to open source community for help. With out DVD player I can't install software for burner or new printer. Can anyone here help me out of this situation? Thanks in advance. Woodfar
    Oh man, this is just wrong...
    Any way you look at it, it is wrong. I would have returned the player just on the basis that its manufacturer wants you to buy another program to just make it work. Return the favour and don't buy anything from them. Tell your friends about this, so they can avoid it too. I would like to know the culprit, too. The decreased revenue will hopefully open their eyes.

Comment

windows issue

The player is made by Asus and was purchased from Newegg. Being computer challenged, maybe I just don't know how to navigate around this. This is the reason I am here. Thanks
      Last edited by woodfar; 13 May 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Maybe if you gave us the exact model we would be able to help you in finding a correct driver for it.

Edit:
        We would also need the version of Windows you're using (XP, Vista, 7? 32-bit, 64-bit?)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Maybe if you gave us the exact model we would be able to help you in finding a correct driver for it.
          Model # DRW24B1st, Vista

Comment

Sorry Missed the bits part. Vista 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by woodfar View Post
              Sorry Missed the bits part. Vista 32 bit
              OK, you do not need drivers for this. Windows ships with a driver suitable for all such DVD burners. If Windows complains that it couldn't find a driver, you might want to go into the device manager, open the property dialog and click on "update driver". Then in the next dialog select "search online" (or similar.)

Running Windows Update might also come with the driver.

Comment

I suspect it wasn't actually the hardware manufacturer directing you to Driver Manager. You might want to double check with the HW mfg before making a final decision.

There seem to be a number of recent problems with DVD drives and Vista recently (often drives which worked suddenly disappeared from Device Manager), although it wasn't obvious what the cause was. Driver Manager was mentioned in quite a few of the cases, but I suspect it's more a function of the name (if you search on "driver" and "device manager" you're likely to run across Driver Manager in the results ).

At some point someone will point out that this is more of a Linux site than a Windows site, so consider it said...
                Test signature

Comment

It turns out that the configuration of the SCSI/ATAPI stack in Windows is surprisingly fragile, and can get wedged into invalid states by various (un)installer antics. Microsoft actually provides a tool to fix common problems.

Describes Microsoft easy fix solutions and how to use them. "Microsoft easy fix" was formerly known as "Microsoft Fix it."

Comment

Working...
                  X