Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt On Linux Not Yet Primed For Success

Phoronix: Thunderbolt On Linux Not Yet Primed For Success

As a word of caution for anyone that was hoping Thunderbolt (a.k.a. Light Peak) was in good shape for Linux, the Intel technology doesn't appear to be quite ready yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No, don't buy the nasty apple sh!t. Furthermore you never know if Apple doesn't have messed with it and it works differently. Standards are to be broken (at least for enterprises like Apple or MS). Besides I personally don't want this Thunderbolt stuff. We finally have halfway settled with USB and that seems to be fairly ok. I hate buying everything again.
    I still have so many ISA-Cards here and a plethora of PCI cards. But there are no ISA slots anymore and normal PCI becomes rare. So I shall buy the same functionality again as PCIe for twice the money. Especially ridiculous is then using a serial interface on PCIe which will surely overload the bandwidth capacity of PCIe...
    So USB is widespead, it works everywhere, it is quite compatible with itself and by now seems to be relatively troublefree. USB3 offers good rates for mass media, for nearly everything else USB2 or even USB1 (mouse, keyboard) seems to be enough. So why Thunderbolt? (Of course it is good when it works in the kernel once it is there but generally spoken...)
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      No, don't buy the nasty apple sh!t. Furthermore you never know if Apple doesn't have messed with it and it works differently. Standards are to be broken (at least for enterprises like Apple or MS). Besides I personally don't want this Thunderbolt stuff. We finally have halfway settled with USB and that seems to be fairly ok. I hate buying everything again.
      as much as it pains me to say it there is no other manufacturer that comes close to apple in terms of design. they make pretty good laptops.

that said i wouldn't even go near one of its products.

as for thunderbolt the only thing that bugs me a bit is that its intel tech. i would prefer something like an ieee open standard for connectors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        as for thunderbolt the only thing that bugs me a bit is that its intel tech. i would prefer something like an ieee open standard for connectors etc.
        This, maybe they can do so when they move to the fiber optic version of TB. Till then USB3 is the defacto standard, sucks since I actually really liked Firewire, On my old Macs I could get much better disk I/O by moving the boot drive to a FW enclosure as Apple was too stupid to update from ATA 66 or 100 among other things till long after the rest of the industry had...

Comment

This is total non sense!!?,

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          No, don't buy the nasty apple sh!t. Furthermore you never know if Apple doesn't have messed with it and it works differently.
          This is complete BS. Frankly my MBP is one of the best Linux platforms going.
          Standards are to be broken (at least for enterprises like Apple or MS). Besides I personally don't want this Thunderbolt stuff. We finally have halfway settled with USB and that seems to be fairly ok. I hate buying everything again.
          TB doesn't in compete with USB. This is silly as Apple & Intel have been very clear about their intentions for TB.
          I still have so many ISA-Cards here and a plethora of PCI cards. But there are no ISA slots anymore and normal PCI becomes rare. So I shall buy the same functionality again as PCIe for twice the money. Especially ridiculous is then using a serial interface on PCIe which will surely overload the bandwidth capacity of PCIe...
          It is the way of the technology world. Besides if you really wanted to run ISA cards you can still buy the hardware if you wanted.

In any event do you really think your whining about ISA cards will get you any traction here? I mean really technology moves forward.
          So USB is widespead, it works everywhere, it is quite compatible with itself and by now seems to be relatively troublefree. USB3 offers good rates for mass media, for nearly everything else USB2 or even USB1 (mouse, keyboard) seems to be enough.
          Do you really think USB is going away? It isn't, as it serves an entirely different need than Thunderbolt.
          So why Thunderbolt? (Of course it is good when it works in the kernel once it is there but generally spoken...)
          Why? Because it makes things like Apples Monitor/Dock possible. In fact I suspect that one of Apples motivations for TB was to enable simple high performance docking for its laptops.

Comment

Working...
          X