Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

Phoronix: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

It's been a while since last providing a Phoronix review of a solid-state drive from OCZ Technology, but now with Serial ATA 3.0 support becoming more prevalent on modern Intel and AMD motherboards, they have been releasing a number of updated products to take advantage of SATA 3.0. In the review we have our hands on an OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD as we see how this SATA III SSD performs under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These results are insane! I mean, it's almost 20 times faster in the first test! Perhaps an SSD drive would be worth the money now'days, especially for compilation work in Gentoo.

Comment

Once you go SSD, you never go back. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Once you go SSD, you never go back. Trust me.
        I can imagine. I mean, I would still have a couple of TB of traditional disks on my NAS and in my desktop computer for storage, but to have the main system disk as SSD would really kick ass.

Comment

just a typo
          "my ssd is faster than your hdd" not "* than your ssd"

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

That is a Vertex 2 issue. This is the Vertex 3. It was never affected by that.

Comment

If you get the urge to go ssd, do a quick check on their failure rates first :P

/me runs in ram anyway, so a ssd wouldn't be any better than a hdd for me...

Comment

what would be the best use for an SSD for home/desktop use ? Only put / on it or also /home. I would think the / will give a nice boot performance but /home would give best overall experience, but what about not putting many write files (which /home is more then /) on it, or is that old news and we past that ?

sorry if all sounds noob but just wondering

Comment

I built a new (Fedora 15) workstation using a Sandy Bridge 2600k i7 on an Asus P8H67 micro-ATX board when the B3 stepping were released in the spring and 16GB RAM. I use a Vertex 3 for a mostly read-only root drive (I bought the product replacement plan at great expense), and save some write cycles using a 10k RPM Velociraptor for swap, /tmp, /var, and /home. I have 2 * 3TB 7200RPM Hitachi Deskstar's in RAID 1 on /home/data. I haven't had any problems with any of this equipment yet (Phoronix FUD'd the P8H67). The system is stupid fast.

Comment

Working...
                  X