No announcement yet.

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this a review, apart from the benchmarks I would have been happier to see a few words about the hibernate/sleep situation as someone mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, while buying an SSD (or any other drive and computer hardware in general), mostly no reviews cover that situation.

A few words about the manufacturer support would also be helpful. I have bought 2 SSD's sometime back. One was a G-Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD. As most SSDs, performance is good and most features work, except for hibernate. Even the situation in Windows and OSX wasn't that good. While their forums have good moderators and users are vocal, most of the information there is random junk, like many of the Ubuntu forum and bug posts that contain "me too" (hope that doesn't offend anyone, since they sometimes contain very valuable info too). Firmware upgrades were often broken and it was "strongly recommended" to backup everything before an update. Moreover, the entire responsibility of updates and solving any bugs were left to Sandforce, since they make the controller -- and the manufacturer pretty much claimed to be helpless about the situation. Overall, a bad experience given that SSDs are so pricey, and I would try to avoid Sandforce controller based SSDs in future, as I was not convinced about their quality and support.

On the other hand, I also got a Intel X-25M 120GB SSD which is supposed to be an average performance SSD at that time (and I am not even sure about its TRIM and "garbage collection" situation), but I have nothing but praise for it. Hibernate and suspend used to work on my old notebook (Asus G50VT), but no luck on my new notebook (Asus G53SW).

Also, somebody brought up the point of using SSD's for Gentoo compilation. I have to say that surprisingly, it lead to worse performance on my system, although I haven't played with it much - I even forgot whether I did it on my Intel SSD or the G-Skill one. (I do my emerging on a regular hard drive mostly that has tons of space.) The only plausible explanation, if true, is that the garbage collection or some other operations end up taking time -- seemed to choke at times. (It was for sure on a ext4 file system with the "discard" mount option and trim working.) May be Michael can also run a heavy compiling benchmark (with and without extraction time) and one that potentially does a lot of disk grinding -- not sure linux kernel is a good example, but libreoffice potentially should be a good one, that takes about 30-40 minutes on a Core i5 750 @ 3.5GHz.

It might have been mentioned earlier in Phoronix articles or forums, but the now famous article by Theodre Tso: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...ase-block-size was pretty helpful, especially the "-h 224 -s 56" while creating the partition table.

Comment

So a brand new SSD is faster than a bunch of old SSDs that are fragmented beyond all belief after having been subjected to countless pointless benchmarks without trim or a secure erase afterwards. Big fucking news!

Comment

Yeah those results look fishy.

Comment

Well I HAVE gone SSD, and Yes it IS fast.

On a laptop, I get 2x boot speed. I also get 30% to 60% more battery life. The system feels more responsive and better to use. Funny thing is, for the previous 10 years I had vowed never to buy a laptop.... Though since then, after having a laptop with a vertex 2, I've been quite happy. It made using a laptop much more convenient and useful. It made all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            So a brand new SSD is faster than a bunch of old SSDs that are fragmented beyond all belief after having been subjected to countless pointless benchmarks without trim or a secure erase afterwards. Big fucking news!
            Read the anantech.com review:

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Shining Arcanine is right... Basically SSD's don't get fragmented like a hard disk does. They might suffer loss of data space but that is about it...Usually it's unwise to defrag a SSD as it shortens their life span. Since there are no moving parts in a SSD and data is parallelised, you can have data in whatever arrangement you want. It shouldn't slow the device down and further more, phoronix would be using fresh installs on all drives. Or the review is pointless... I know for sure that I didn't gain any speed up from de-fragmenting my SSD. Even when it was 30% fragmented!

Comment

I recently shelled out for the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB and it's crazy fast. The majority of boot time is actually taken up by the BIOS self-test rather than system startup. However, it looks like you could get better performance and more space than Vertex 3 if you bought three or four Vertex 2 on a clearance sale and set them up in RAID0. This is especially true if you have an X58 chipset motherboard without SATA 6Gb/s ports.

Comment

Hell yeah that would be awesome! xD

I could be wrong if the bus limits the overall speed.... Someone would have to test this theory ~wink wink~

Comment

Working...
                  X