Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone DC01: An Entry Into The Linux NAS Market

Phoronix: SilverStone DC01: An Entry Into The Linux NAS Market

When talking about SilverStone Technology on Phoronix it's commonly about one of their wonderfully-designed computer cases that we have enjoyed reviewing over the past six years, one of their power supplies, or the few other product categories this Taiwanese manufacturer has explored. Among the more peculiar products from SilverStone has been the HDDBOOST, the Raven mouse, and the Treasure RFID Enclosure. What we have our hands on today is SilverStone's first entry into the single-drive Network Attached Storage (NAS) market. The SilverStone DC01 is an affordable Linux-based NAS server.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

facepalm

The DC01 NAS server can only accommodate a single 2.5-inch Serial ATA SSD/HDD internally due to its very small form factor.
    Yet, scores 8/10? *sigh*

When is someone going to make a super-crappy ARM machine with a decent-size case and 12 SATA ports? ;-) That would be worth 8/10.

Comment

"Super-crappy" isn't what I really mean. I meant low-power and unimpressive (except in terms of efficiency) CPU. Bobcat/Atom/VIA, ARM, etc. Seems like all the motherboards made for this stuff, is super-light when it comes to I/O.

So you've got a fileserver that either has an overpowered CPU, or a right-sized CPU and external (!?!) drives. And you've got a workstation with 6 SATA ports but only uses one or zero of them. Ugh. Everything is wrong, and I guess I felt like bitching about it, nearly-but-not-quite off-topic. ;-)

Comment

To be fair, you can get 1TB 2.5" drives these days, so $140 for the rest of the system seems a pretty good deal for someone who wants a low-power home server without RAID. That's about what I paid just for the Ion motherboard in my HTPC, which is what you'd need to get a decent number of disks attached to an Atom (I forget whether it has four or six SATA ports).

Comment

Could be very sweet

Plug one of these into the external SATA port:

If it can also support AppleShare and Time Machine then it's a keeper for the multi-platform household!

Comment

Performance? Power consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
              *gasp* I'm in love!

I thought multi-drive enclosures died around the time we stopped using SCSI. So glad to know I'm wrong.

Comment

Even better!

Originally posted by Zapitron View Post
                *gasp* I'm in love!

I thought multi-drive enclosures died around the time we stopped using SCSI. So glad to know I'm wrong.
                There's also this one, but it's kinda pricey:

Comment

I am also not in the favor of silver stone DC01. I think the performance is not so good as compare to other processor.

Comment

why are there no benchmarks on file read and write over the network ? there is a gigabit port on this, can it do gigabit ? (might have to put a faster disk in it though)

was doing some research on a new NAS and found that NAS that use arm generally can not do gigabit. those that are x86 seem to have no problem with gigabit, i would guess that there is a bus limitation not a cpu limitation.

Comment

Working...
                    X