Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot reinstall grub on laptop's new disk - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does GRUB Support EXT4 now?

Is there a new Stage3 for that? (or is EXT4 backwards compatible enough for the EXT3 stage3 to work?)

Personally I would NOT trust a near-experimental Filesystem to boot from.

Whats wrong with a small EXT2 only '/boot' partition?

Comment

Use grub 2 - grub 1 is dead.

Comment

grub supports ext4 just fine

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
        Does GRUB Support EXT4 now?
        Yes. And it is all working fine.

Personally I would NOT trust a near-experimental Filesystem to boot from.
        It's not experimental any more, either.

Whats wrong with a small EXT2 only '/boot' partition?
        Apart from the kernel developers wanting to remove the ext2 and ext3 legacy filesystems? Apparently, ext4's backwards compatibility with existing ext2 and ext3 partitions is thought to be enough, which makes the original ext2 and ext3 modules an overhead of code maintenance.

Comment

I'll use whichever grub ships with Fedora

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Trying to do anything else would be madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano
            My interest in following the development of stuff that I don't feel needs replacement (or I simply ignore the reasons behind the changes) is basically zero. That's why I've no idea about this GRUB 2 thing.

I'm on Debian running grub-legacy; is there any reason to upgrade to grub 2? If yes, should I be aware of something before doing it?

Comment

Debian 6 uses definitely Grub 2 by default (on x86/x64: package: grub-pc). It is much more powerful than the older Grub 1. Red Hat is using Grub 1 patched for ext4 - the needed patch was available since years but basically why should somebody still use the legacy version? You officially do not get any support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano
                Debian 6 uses definitely Grub 2 by default (on x86/x64: package: grub-pc). It is much more powerful than the older Grub 1. Red Hat is using Grub 1 patched for ext4 - the needed patch was available since years but basically why should somebody still use the legacy version? You officially do not get any support for it.
                Well, I use Grub-legacy because...well, because it boots my system just fine. I don't need support for ext4 nor anything fancy. Anyway, I take it that there are no problems nor nasty little surprises with upgrading to Grub 2, yes? This is, I expect that it won't demand my attention like, at all, if I install the new version...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Did Debian bother updating grub 2 to a version that isn't overwritten by certain windows programs?

Comment

Working...
                  X