• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure:

Lemote Fuulong (MIPS)
    Genesi Efika MX (ARM)

Comment

For a nettop, what would be the benefit of an ARM-based setup ? AFAIK, autonomy is not a key point when you're always plugged in (and most important : no battery). It is not a mobile device.

ARM is worth the case when you have to deal with efficiency per watt, and it's not the case for this kind of device.

Or maybe you want "sedentary" computers to be as locked out as a smartphones are (Yes, android is not under your control--remote deleting for example). Which is not good at all for everyone. but that's another problem.

To come back to the first subject, and particularly the hardware decoding stuff, do you know a way to easily compare VA-API way to go with VDPAU ? I mean, with as most the same hardware as possible, and the same files (and, the same software, like mplayer)...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Sure:

Lemote Fuulong (MIPS)
        Genesi Efika MX (ARM)
        getting info on the loongson is difficult, and i have been watching that closely. no idea how to order one in the US. i am considering the efika, but that does not have as many ports or the dvd drive. just wondering if there was any i missed. sam440 was looking interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
          For a nettop, what would be the benefit of an ARM-based setup ?
          efficiency ? a better architecture ? just because its plugged in all the time or does not have a battery does not mean it can waste as much energy as it wants, there is an electric bill. and x86 is just crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
            efficiency ? a better architecture ? just because its plugged in all the time or does not have a battery does not mean it can waste as much energy as it wants, there is an electric bill. and x86 is just crappy.
            Including which we're using way too much energy as is, global scale.

Comment

Man, all that power and only one digital video output. Wish someone would think of us wanting dual digital displays. I don't need 3D performance, I just need to drive two monitors over DVI.

Comment

Netflix, Hulu, etc

Would be a nice little box to have to run XBMC on but then you'd still need to get a Roku box to play Netflix.

Comment

Working...
                X