Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's SPARC & IA64 Ports Have Been Killed

Phoronix: Ubuntu's SPARC & IA64 Ports Have Been Killed

A few months back we reported that the IA64 and SPARC versions of Ubuntu were in trouble and would be decommissioned if no individual(s) were to step-up and maintain these ports of Ubuntu Linux for these architectures that are much less popular and common than x86 and x86_64 hardware. Well, there still is no one backing the Intel IA64 and Sun SPARC versions of Ubuntu Linux so they are being dropped completely...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm kind of surprised that they would let the sparc drop after recent developments.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
      i'm kind of surprised that they would let the sparc drop after recent developments.
      Kinda fits the pattern though. They've been dropping one arch after another.

Comment

Kinda intriguing also that they are encouraging people to stop using x86_64 in favour of x86 too though. XD
        Need proof? http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download "64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage"

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Kinda intriguing also that they are encouraging people to stop using x86_64 in favour of x86 too though. XD
          Need proof? http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download "64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage"
          I saw that the other day when I had to get an updated ISO. I searched and found a bug report to remove that message which was more or less denied, with the rationale that Flash didn't work on 64 bit well so it was appropriate. Seems ironic when the primary reason for non-64 bit software being the uptake of 64 bit OS's...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            I don't recommend 64-bit for daily desktop usage either.

Comment

I've been using 64bit since Nintendo 64 and a 64bit sun ultra 2 it works great

sparc despite having open blueprints is dead, only jive corporate twits are into it, ia64, forget it

x86_64 is fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by LightningCrash View Post
                I don't recommend 64-bit for daily desktop usage either.
                Meh, 64bit works fine given you have some distro that handles multilib sanely like eg Fedora, OpenSolaris or (supposedly) Gentoo with multilib overlay.

Comment

... or don't use crap that requires 32-bit, and run a pure 64 system.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    ... or don't use crap that requires 32-bit, and run a pure 64 system.
                    Well, the only Flash that works everywhere (on x86 machines) for everything is the 32bit Adobe Flash in a 32bit browser. That's how it's done on Windows, that's how you have to do it if you want a good Flash experience on other operating systems.

Comment

Working...
                    X