Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, So fast it can time-travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Drive

I got a new drive and it is broken again I am fed up!
    And besides it also happens if i do sync before power off...

Comment

hello... i think i found out what happened (at least with my vertex 2)
      the disk alway "freezes" when i disconnect it from my notebook-sata-port (hp 625 notebook). from the moment i re-connect it changes are non-persistable.
      then i have to install the newest firmware and the disc is writable again (until i pull it out again).
      anyway - the last attempt installing the latest firmware made it disappear in bios - it seems as if the drive is dead now.

i wrote these findings to a guy who seems to be from ocz but didn't get an answer till now.

please report if your vertex 2 acts the same way as mine does.

greets - woif

Comment

Same problem

Originally posted by woif View Post
        hello... i think i found out what happened (at least with my vertex 2)
        the disk alway "freezes" when i disconnect it from my notebook-sata-port (hp 625 notebook). from the moment i re-connect it changes are non-persistable.
        then i have to install the newest firmware and the disc is writable again (until i pull it out again).
        anyway - the last attempt installing the latest firmware made it disappear in bios - it seems as if the drive is dead now.

i wrote these findings to a guy who seems to be from ocz but didn't get an answer till now.

please report if your vertex 2 acts the same way as mine does.

greets - woif
        Hello hello

I have the exact same problem. I use Linux Mint 10 (Ubuntu 10.04) and my vertex 2 can't save any changes. I used to have a 40gb intel SSD in it before switching to the vertex 2, and that one worked perfectly.

I tried to update the firmware on my SSD but stopped being detect by bios after that.. I sent it back to to store i bought it from and got a replacement drive of the same type. Imagine my surprise when it seems like that drive has the exact same problem.. I have not done the firmware update on it though.

Now i think i might just switch back to using the 40gb intel ssd in the laptop, and keep my fingers crossed the vertex drive works better with windows 7 on it..

Comment

I have ocz vertex 2 60gb and 90gb drives. I haven't used either on a laptop yet, but I've switched back and forth between desktops and haven't had a problem. I've never updated the firmware either.

Could it be something with the laptop causing it?

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
            I have ocz vertex 2 60gb and 90gb drives. I haven't used either on a laptop yet, but I've switched back and forth between desktops and haven't had a problem. I've never updated the firmware either.

Could it be something with the laptop causing it?
            We'll know in an hour or so. I switched back so my laptop now has a 40gb intel ssd, and my htpc has the vertex 2. I'll try to shutdown the htpc and see if it saves any changes, as soon my gf and her friends are done watching The Bachelor..

I have not done anything to the vertex since plugging it into the htpc, so it is the very same ubuntu running it. If the problem is now gone, we'll know for sure it was the laptop causing it.

I'll post back when i have tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by dachloo View Post
              We'll know in an hour or so. I switched back so my laptop now has a 40gb intel ssd, and my htpc has the vertex 2. I'll try to shutdown the htpc and see if it saves any changes, as soon my gf and her friends are done watching The Bachelor..

I have not done anything to the vertex since plugging it into the htpc, so it is the very same ubuntu running it. If the problem is now gone, we'll know for sure it was the laptop causing it.

I'll post back when i have tried it.
              Update:

I just restarted my laptop with the 40gb intel ssd, and it works like a charm. Saves everything just like it should.

Comment

Update:

I just restarted my laptop with the 40gb intel ssd, and it works like a charm. Saves everything just like it should.
                Ok, i have now tested the vertex in my htpc (a Zotac mATX intel atom) and it the problem still remains. It seems like it is not caused by the laptop.

I am installing windows 7 on it as we speak, so we will find out if it is a linux problem, or if my drive really is broken.. Again.. Which seams very unlikely..

Post back in a while with the windows 7 results.

Comment

Ok, i have now tested the vertex in my htpc (a Zotac mATX intel atom) and it the problem still remains. It seems like it is not caused by the laptop.

I am installing windows 7 on it as we speak, so we will find out if it is a linux problem, or if my drive really is broken.. Again.. Which seams very unlikely..

Post back in a while with the windows 7 results.

Ok, the htpc is working just like it should. The vertex 2 sdd drive had no problem saving changes under windows 7, so it seems like it is something with the combination of vertex2 and ubuntu 10.04.

Over and out

Comment

Ah... I haven't used mine with 10.04. I've been using 10.10 since I've had them.

Comment

Working...
                    X