Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, So fast it can time-travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Here with Agility 2

OMG weird, I have exactly the same problem with a agility 2
    Tested under openSUSE 11.3 with kernel 2.6.34 and 2.6.35 and the same problem with Xubuntu 10.04 Kernel 2.6.32. Always using ext 4 , installed several times, but sometimes after power off even the whole installation disappeared, I thought I had a defective drive but it seems to be a common problem...

Comment

Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
      I was using the ext4 filesystem.
      This may be a reincarnation of a previous EXT4 bug. Someone please test this on EXT3 or ReiserFS. Your test case will probably prove valuable to the resolution of this issue.

cooper writes "Heise Open posted news about a bug report for the upcoming Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) which describes a massive data loss problem when using Ext4 (German version): A crash occurring shortly after the KDE 4 desktop files had been loaded results in the loss of all of the data that h...

I recently installed Kubuntu Jaunty on a new drive, using Ext4 for all my data. The first time i had this problem was a few days ago when after a power loss ktimetracker's config file was replaced by a 0 byte version . No idea if anything else was affected.. I just noticed ktimetracker right away. Today, I was experimenting with some BIOS settings that made the system crash right after loading the desktop. After a clean reboot pretty much any file written to by any application (during the p...

Last week's news about data loss with the Linux Ext4 file system is explained and new solutions have been provided by Ted Ts'o to allow Ext4 to behave more like Ext3

Comment

Deeper inspection

I got curious about the problem...
        I did:
        Code:
        dd if=/dev/urandom bs=4096 count=262144 of=/dev/sde ; dd if=/dev/sde bs=4096 count=262144 | md5sum 
        262144+0 Datens?tze ein
        262144+0 Datens?tze aus
        1073741824 Bytes (1,1 GB) kopiert, 329,198 s, 3,3 MB/s
        8c29c314237605bb251670ae80e9b524  -
        262144+0 Datens?tze ein
        262144+0 Datens?tze aus
        1073741824 Bytes (1,1 GB) kopiert, 131,716 s, 8,2 MB/s
        a little later without power off:
        Code:
        dd if=/dev/sde bs=4096 count=262144 | md5sum
        8c29c314237605bb251670ae80e9b524  -
        262144+0 Datens?tze ein
        262144+0 Datens?tze aus
        1073741824 Bytes (1,1 GB) kopiert, 132,858 s, 8,1 MB/s
        But after reboot and power off the md5sum is different, this device is clearly defective and besides brand new:

Code:
        dd if=/dev/sde bs=4096 count=26244 | md5sum
        262144+0 Datens?tze ein
        262144+0 Datens?tze aus
        9d6ee4a89863ec3bea1c7116feea31b0  -
        1073741824 Bytes (1,1 GB) kopiert, 134,217 s, 8,0 MB/s

Comment

Although I haven't had a change to try a different filesystem, yet this might not be a ext4 issue at all. In this thread: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...after-shutdown at least one user mentions he has the same problem on a windows 7 install. Another user has the same problem with the Agility 2. It might be an issue with a bunch of bad Sandforce chips.

Nevertheless I'll try installing ubuntu on my ssd with a different filesystem today.

Comment

Update: I installed ubuntu 10.10 beta on an ext3 filesystem on the ssd after I rebooted it was still there, after a poweroff however the ext3 filesystem too was gone...

Comment

I wonder how that's even technologically possible. Surely they're not using caches that big in the drive?

Comment

What if the problem was that file allocation table (is there such a thing with EXT?) or some other "track 0" data that wasn't properly recorded?

Comment

I mostly meant that if data survives a reboot but not a cold boot, this hints into that the data is stored in non-persistent memory.

Comment

Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
                    Update: I installed ubuntu 10.10 beta on an ext3 filesystem on the ssd after I rebooted it was still there, after a poweroff however the ext3 filesystem too was gone...
                    Does this happen if you run :

Code:
                    sync
                    ...before power off?

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                      Does this happen if you run :

Code:
                      sync
                      ...before power off?
                      I returned my drive and got a new one, it works like a charm and keeps all data. It seemed unlikely that this was a linux problem anyway since there were a lot of linux users that didn't have any trouble.

As I said, it seems likely that this is a manufacturing problem. Apparently OCZ is looking into it right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X