No announcement yet.

What fs to pick for SSD drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd been wondering this myself as I'm getting an SSD for my new MythTV frontend: the advice in the post above is about where I'd got to. Another possibility is to put the Firefox cache onto a RAM disk so that it isn't continually writing small files, or to increase the RAM cache size and disable disk caching completely if that's possible.

You may also want to increase the commit time so that files don't get written out to disk every few seconds; I know that's a mount option on ext3, I don't know whether ext4 supports it or uses its own heuristics for deciding when to force files to disk.

Of course with the ext4 developers telling people to call fsync() every time they write to the disk it may not make any difference in future.

Comment

Just fyi, I use reiserfs on my SSDs, but my /boot is ext2. Everything is mounted with noatime. My mozilla cache is pointed at /tmp which is a tmpfs.

I always run with laptop mode:
      /proc/sys/vm/
      laptop_mode: 7
      dirty_writeback_centisecs: 60000
      dirty_expire_centisecs: 60000
      dirty_ratio: 90
      dirty_background_ratio: 10

All of my partitions are aligned to 4MB boundaries... Obviously the VM settings are only helpful if you actually have a lot of spare RAM. If you're running so many apps that you're starting to use swap space, it's all a wash.

Comment

(sigh, edit limit)

re: fsync - major annoyance. Every time I upgrade my ubuntu systems, I always get the source for dpkg and comment out all of the fsync calls, then use that instead of the distro binary. Likewise, my mozilla source code has all fsyncs commented out. Otherwise it's just too excruciating to install system updates, and seamonkey email tries to fsync whenever a message gos from Unread to Read, etc. etc...

Comment

Working...
        X