Ati/NVIDIA amd/intel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@blackstar

Well it is hard to compare the X4 945 because there is no quad in that price segment from the new iX series. But when you use X4 965 to compare is only 20 € less than i5-750. The cheaper Athlon X4 are busted in most bechmarks even with the dual core i3-530. You may certainly always find a cpu between others that has got no good match - try to compares those which have got one. The dual core i5 are no real good invest as the turbo mode would only work when 1 core is idle which would not be that often the case. Only if you really want the new AES functions you need those 32nm cpus which are not in the older quads nor in the i3. A good comparision in in the current ct 7/10. But for 100 € what do you find better than i3-530?

Comment

I just looked to benchmarks and compared Phenom X2 550, Athlon X3 435, Athlon X4 620 and Intel I3-530:

Performancerating tests
      (higher is better)
      Phenom X2 545: applications 100%, games 100%, theoretical tests 100%
      Athlon X3 435: applications 115%, games 115%, theoretical tests 113%
      Athlon X4 420: applications 125%, games 120%, theoretical tests 125%
      Intel I3-530: applications 119%, games 126%, theoretical tests 145%

power consumption (lower is better):
      Phenom X2 545: idle 100%, full load 100%
      Athlon X3 435: idle 100%, full load 101%
      Athlon X4 420: idle 99%, full load 111%
      Intel I3-530: idle 90%, full load 71%

current prices (in Germany with 19% VAT):

Phenom X2 545: 72 EUR
      Athlon X3 435: 65 EUR
      Athlon X4 420: 80 EUR
      Intel I3-530: 101 EUR

source: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/h...formancerating

Comment

I think we can agree that the Athlons are by far the best value propositions in the mid-low-end segment. This is reflected in techreport's recommendations.

One more thing: the i3 does not support VT, while the X4 does. This is not for everyone, but it is useful when working with virtual machines.

Comment

Go AMD and ATI

Personally, I have had some bad experiances with Intel and AMD. Intels never seem to have enough features, and AMD dud chips (see the original Phenom.) Despite this, I do recommend AMD for a better price to performance ratio. I know with all this talk floating around about how much faster the i series is, you may think AMD is falling behind, but where real world applications are concerned, AMD is comparable on the low end. I personally run an Athlon X4 635 @ 3.51 GHz, and for such a low price, it runs circles around a similarly priced Core i3.

As for graphics, I would really go for ATI. I know that support sometimes seems flaky (see Unigine,) but for the most part, it is just fine. I also like the choice of being able to know that there is a open source driver available, if I ever wanted to use it. I have a Radeon HD 4650 in my computer, and for the most part, it can handle just about any Linux game I can throw at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Because your cpus needs more power and is slower, right? Maybe a few bucks cheaper when you buy it...
            Are you kidding me.....

Those numbers are in celsius mind you.

Today AMD is introducing a revision of its flagship Phenom II X4 965 processor rated at 125W, replacing the 140W part, as well as a new 3.1 version of its Overdrive overclocking software. We take a quick look at both to see what advantages they offer.

Again in celsius from toms no less....

Comment

Why do you compare s1366? There the cpus are 130w tdp, s1156 for dual 73w and quad 95w. In idle mode they beat AMD chips with ease also for load.

Comment

Originally posted by Serjor View Post
                Hello!

I'm new in those forums, so if this post doesn't belong here let me know and I'll post it were it belongs.

I wan't to build a new computer from scratch, and one of it's mainly purposes will be gaming, and I'm very lost looking the best linux compatible hardware.

The most simple questions, ati or nvidia? intel or amd?

I guess, but it's just a supposition that the best option will be nvidia for the graphic card, but what about motherboard?

Thank you very much

PD. Sorry my bad english
                I suggest you go with Nvidia and Intel. The motherboard should be made by either Asus or Gigabyte. Intel's processors are more energy efficient than AMD's processors and programs are usually optimized with them in mind. Intel's chipsets are also very good. Nvidia's graphics cards have excellent binary drivers. You cannot go wrong with that combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Why do you compare s1366? There the cpus are 130w tdp, s1156 for dual 73w and quad 95w. In idle mode they beat AMD chips with ease also for load.
                  OK, so if you dont like that one then how about these.....

I'm just throwing this out there for anyone else running into similar problems as I have been having with my Intel Core i7 860 system. I'm ...

As computers get more and more powerful with each advance in computing technology, it is inevitable that the thermal envelope is continually being pushed to higher levels. For this reason, there will always be a large market for aftermarket CPU cooling. But just when you think only the biggest and loudest coolers can effectively cool the latest and greatest overclocked quad core processors, Thermaltake comes in with the Silent 1156 heatsink (Yes, that's literally the name). As its name suggests, this cooler is designed for Intel's relatively recent LGA1156 socket, and is a claimed to be silent alternative to the stock cooler provided by Intel in a retail packaged CPU. This tower style cooler features two 8mm heatpipes leading away from the base, as well as an included 92mm cooling fan over its array of heatsink fins. It is priced at a mere $29.99 at press time, and targeted at users who are into silent computing -- those who are dissatisfied with the noise generated from the little Intel heatsink -- but do not wish to spend a lot of money for an aftermarket unit. Generally speaking, Thermaltake aims to provide the user with the Silent 1156 as an alternative low noise CPU cooling solution without breaking the bank. We will be testing this product today to see if it is really a viable alternative and holds its own against the competition, and whether it can handle the our Intel Core i7-860 within a reasonable range of temperatures. Are you better off saving your money and sticking with the stock cooler, or should you grab this heatsink as soon as you finish this reading this review? Well... continue reading to find out! Continue reading: Thermaltake Silent 1156 Heatsink review

These are all I7 860s, which happen to be priced similar to Phenom 965....

Today AMD is introducing a revision of its flagship Phenom II X4 965 processor rated at 125W, replacing the 140W part, as well as a new 3.1 version of its Overdrive overclocking software. We take a quick look at both to see what advantages they offer.

I can go on if you like.. For a quick rundown, for about the same price you can get a 2.8ghz I7 running stock with load temps around 65-80 degrees celcius, or you can get a BE965 at 3.4ghz (performance should be about the same, maybe a slight edge to AMD.) running stock with load temps arounf 40-55 degrees celcius.

The I7 generally overclocks to between 3.9ghz-4.2ghz with a good aftermarket cooler and runs between 75-100 degrees, the AMD can get between 3.8ghz-4.0ghz with a good aftermarket cooler and will run between 55-65 degrees The performance edge when overclocked may go to Intel, but I'm gonna have to say with temps like that the overall better deal is probably gonna have to go to amd.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    OK, so if you dont like that one then how about these.....

I'm just throwing this out there for anyone else running into similar problems as I have been having with my Intel Core i7 860 system. I'm ...

As computers get more and more powerful with each advance in computing technology, it is inevitable that the thermal envelope is continually being pushed to higher levels. For this reason, there will always be a large market for aftermarket CPU cooling. But just when you think only the biggest and loudest coolers can effectively cool the latest and greatest overclocked quad core processors, Thermaltake comes in with the Silent 1156 heatsink (Yes, that's literally the name). As its name suggests, this cooler is designed for Intel's relatively recent LGA1156 socket, and is a claimed to be silent alternative to the stock cooler provided by Intel in a retail packaged CPU. This tower style cooler features two 8mm heatpipes leading away from the base, as well as an included 92mm cooling fan over its array of heatsink fins. It is priced at a mere $29.99 at press time, and targeted at users who are into silent computing -- those who are dissatisfied with the noise generated from the little Intel heatsink -- but do not wish to spend a lot of money for an aftermarket unit. Generally speaking, Thermaltake aims to provide the user with the Silent 1156 as an alternative low noise CPU cooling solution without breaking the bank. We will be testing this product today to see if it is really a viable alternative and holds its own against the competition, and whether it can handle the our Intel Core i7-860 within a reasonable range of temperatures. Are you better off saving your money and sticking with the stock cooler, or should you grab this heatsink as soon as you finish this reading this review? Well... continue reading to find out! Continue reading: Thermaltake Silent 1156 Heatsink review

These are all I7 860s, which happen to be priced similar to Phenom 965....

I can go on if you like.. For a quick rundown, for about the same price you can get a 2.8ghz I7 running stock with load temps around 65-80 degrees celcius, or you can get a BE965 at 3.4ghz (performance should be about the same, maybe a slight edge to AMD.) running stock with load temps arounf 40-55 degrees celcius.

The I7 generally overclocks to between 3.9ghz-4.2ghz with a good aftermarket cooler and runs between 75-100 degrees, the AMD can get between 3.8ghz-4.0ghz with a good aftermarket cooler and will run between 55-65 degrees The performance edge when overclocked may go to Intel, but I'm gonna have to say with temps like that the overall better deal is probably gonna have to go to amd.
                    I have an Intel Core 2 Duo Q9500 and I have it running at stock clock speeds stably undervolted it to 1.1 volts, which makes it extremely cool running. I am sure that the core ix processors can be undervolted as well, especially the 32nm varieties.

Anyway, as far as benchmarks at major review sites go, AMD's processors are about equal to my Intel Core 2 Duo Q9500. The Core ix series tends to outperform them in almost every benchmark.

Comment

@BlackStar

Btw. every Intel iX supports VT. No AMD CPU supports VT but since AM2 (with the exception of Sempron) they support AMD-V (formerly known as Pacifica). In /proc/cpuinfo -> vmx -> Intel VT, svm -> AMD-V.

Comment

Working...
                      X