Radeon HD4330 vs GeForce G210M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HD4330 vs GeForce G210M

There are a couple of laptops I am intersted in buying which differ in a very small but significant way.

I need OpenGL 3.2 support, DirectX 10 support and OpenCL support.

Laptops are Dell Inspiron 14 and Lenovo IdeaPad G450.

Config:

Specs are similar, with Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 14" 720p screen, bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Difference:

Dell Inspiron 14
    250GB 7200RPM HDD with FFS
    ATI Radeon HD4330 512MB

Lenovo IdeaPad G450
    320GB 5400RPM HDD
    nVidia GeForce G210M 512MB

Now I need both good gaming performance under Windows 7 and full graphics support under 64bit Linux.

OpenCL if I'm not much mistaken is supported by Intel CPUs right ? AMD Released an x86 driver for OpenCL. If it works as it should, the fact that the GPUs don't support them is not much of a concern since I only want to *learn* and start *coding* with OpenCL, and not actually use it for performance.

Which laptop should I go for ?

And please gimme some pointers as to which is more reliable. I need it to last till 2013.

AFIK, intel has yet to release a openCL SDK and support for their processors but you can use AMD's openCL for x86 for that. Graphics wise nvidia does have publicly available openCL support for their GPU's.

There are also newer 195 series openCL drivers and SDK if you signup for their developer program.

Comment

But for reliability reasons, I'm more inclined towards the Dell with ATI. Does it come with any OpenCL drivers ? And what about OpenGL 3.2 ?

Comment

Latest AMD and nVidia proprietary drivers support OpenCL and OpenGL 3.2.

Most reliable notebooks in my experience are Lenovo ThinkPad. (IdeaPad is somewhat more consumer oriented.) If you want to use it until 2013, get a 3 year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Most reliable notebooks in my experience are Lenovo ThinkPad.
          I concur, with Toshiba being a extremely close second.

Comment

@MetalheadGautham

Do you really think those cards are for gaming? None of em is for that!

Comment

What is so great about Lenovo? IBM's influence is effectively gone.

Lenovo has made them just like the rest. Keyboards aren't the same etc. Also, the Thinkpads don't even have HDMI or eSATA for crying out loud.

I agree with Toshiba. Some of their newer ones are impressive.

They are expensive, though.

I'm somewhat shopping for a laptop (no one replied to my post about it... :-( ). I am considering Toshiba but I can find better deals (hardware you're getting for the price) with Dell and HP. Not worth it, though?

I also want a cpu that offers virtualization. Should I care? VirtualBox seems to work well. I read of users who are pleasantly surprised with it. Or should I just buy a good name like Toshiba or Dell (?) and worry about virtualization compatibility with the next laptop. I wanted a laptop that will last a few years, though.

Anyway, good discussion of these cards. I am not sure whether to go with Nvidia or ATI since the specs I want often include either card but usually ATI for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Lenovo has made them just like the rest. Keyboards aren't the same etc. Also, the Thinkpads don't even have HDMI or eSATA for crying out loud.
                That is not correct.
                The SL410 and SL510 models have variants with eSATA and HDMI ports (eg. NSPAK##).
                The T400s have eSATA and DisplayPort variants (eg. NSDD5##).

I did not notice any degradation in quality between T60/T61 (the last series that was designed by IBM) and T400/T500. Still comes with the plastic coated metal case.

If you want a CPU with hardware virtualization, you have to check carefully before buying. Not all Core2 support Intel VT, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  That is not correct.
                  The SL410 and SL510 models have variants with eSATA and HDMI ports (eg. NSPAK##).
                  The T400s have eSATA and DisplayPort variants (eg. NSDD5##).

I did not notice any degradation in quality between T60/T61 (the last series that was designed by IBM) and T400/T500. Still comes with the plastic coated metal case.

If you want a CPU with hardware virtualization, you have to check carefully before buying. Not all Core2 support Intel VT, sadly.
                  But, the SL series aren't really Thinkpads per se. Which Thinkpad models are they based on? Okay, so I was slightly wrong: The T400 has eSATA. But, none of the Thinkpad line has a digital video output. I just think that is behind the times and the current Thinkpad line by Lenovo are still living based on the rep that the original Thinkpads had. Thinkpads are now Made In China with outsourcing and all that jazz just like any other laptop manufacturer. So, when I read 'recommendations for Thinkpads', I think that is not fair nor accurate.

I know not all Core2 support VT. I already read up on it and know which ones do. It's a pain, though, since, to get VT, you have to pay! If damn Intel would have included a few more processors, I could have afforded a laptop by now! LOL! I'm looking into min. cpu of P8400 but many laptops now have P8600+ as the entry level that have VT so I am covered but I have to pick between various brands and GPU. Then I have to assess based on budget. So difficult when you're a Linux user or even aspiring Linux user!

The ATI questionmark doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Okay, so I was slightly wrong: The T400 has eSATA. But, none of the Thinkpad line has a digital video output. I just think that is behind the times and the current Thinkpad line by Lenovo are still living based on the rep that the original Thinkpads had.
                    I think you are still wrong. The T400s has DisplayPort (a digital video output) in many models, and at least six individual models (NSDD5##, NSDD9##, NSF25##, NSF2P##, NSF2Q##, NSF4N##; replace ## with region code) have both eSATA and DisplayPort connectors.

Additionally, almost all models produced in the last few years have a docking station with DVI connector.

Furthermore, Lenovo produces what its customers (not end-users, mind you) order. And there are several large customers who insist that certain aspects of hardware remain unchanged.

Comment

Working...
                    X