X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Ok, peace, I was NOT meant to be arrogant, was explaining that I have it working 2x here and you 3x don't. You claim it does not work, I, using it and specifically buying it for linux support printed your msg out to show it works(nothing more). Ok, forget HP.

I do not know about Samsung, I heard they were ceasing driver support, hence I asked energyman about its state, it seems also binary-only.

I had fight with Canon LBP2900 over three days without a break(which is why I started hating Canon and they claimed to not support linux), its binary only and contains translator from PS to hits own format plain, without some installation routines or udev rules. In the end it has partially worked with minimal possibilities, but still.

Canon LIDE (20?) flatbed CIS scanner on the other case was actually detected as Mustek and worked straightaway in XSane. If you want good scanner go for CCD-based, not CIS(compact ones). They are larger(taller) but offer brighter color spectrum.

I also know Lexmark is incredibly greedy at printing price(much more above hp or epson) and drivers are binary as well.

Kodak does not care about linux at all.

Hope it helps a bit.
    A little bit.

Please accept my apologies.

примите мои извинения!

I was out of line and apologize for my tone. I wish HP was good and that I thought differently since there is some open source support but geez, nothing would work for me.

As you probably surmised, I was just extremely frustrated. Also, it cost me mostly time but if you count the first printer I had, I bought that one. I got it strictly on the assumption it would be a good Linux-friendly/compatible printer. But, even in Windows, I had major trouble with all the HP printers I tried.

I guess HP printers don't like me!

I know I'm not the most gifted, technically speaking, with computers, but I thought I should be able to use a freakin' printer!

I read about Samsung 'halting' Linux support. It sounds like the most recent process is acquiring root privileges or something. Not sure how accurate a statement or description that is, but, the usage probably isn't going to be as ideal as the open source situation for HP.

I thought I read about Lexmark being more Linux frinedly. I thought I read that here, too? I figure a 'scanner only' device would be less problematic but the newest ones don't seem to have drivers or SANE support (via SANE project info and lack of Linux-oriented info). Canon seems to be the most available out of new scanners. I guess shopping for a used one might uncover something supported but there's no money back guarantee with that route.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    P.S. Why didn't anyone comment on scanners? Doesn't that interest/bother anyone? I'm talking about BRAND NEW / CURRENT MARKET scanners. Epson or Canon.... no support. I checked the SANE project web page and it's only old scanners that are supported. Well, there is some support for the Canon LIDE series up to 60, I think. I was considering a used one until I borrowed the HP Deskjet. Like I said, I needed the scanning function and wanted to do it at home.

I didn't know I'd have to run through hoops and have headaches with an 'opensource, Linux-friendly' HP product.
    Ok, peace, I was NOT meant to be arrogant, was explaining that I have it working 2x here and you 3x don't. You claim it does not work, I, using it and specifically buying it for linux support printed your msg out to show it works(nothing more). Ok, forget HP.

I do not know about Samsung, I heard they were ceasing driver support, hence I asked energyman about its state, it seems also binary-only.

I had fight with Canon LBP2900 over three days without a break(which is why I started hating Canon and they claimed to not support linux), its binary only and contains translator from PS to hits own format plain, without some installation routines or udev rules. In the end it has partially worked with minimal possibilities, but still.

Canon LIDE (20?) flatbed CIS scanner on the other case was actually detected as Mustek and worked straightaway in XSane. If you want good scanner go for CCD-based, not CIS(compact ones). They are larger(taller) but offer brighter color spectrum.

I also know Lexmark is incredibly greedy at printing price(much more above hp or epson) and drivers are binary as well.

Kodak does not care about linux at all.

Hope it helps a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    P.S. Why didn't anyone comment on scanners? Doesn't that interest/bother anyone? I'm talking about BRAND NEW / CURRENT MARKET scanners. Epson or Canon.... no support. I checked the SANE project web page and it's only old scanners that are supported. Well, there is some support for the Canon LIDE series up to 60, I think. I was considering a used one until I borrowed the HP Deskjet. Like I said, I needed the scanning function and wanted to do it at home.

I didn't know I'd have to run through hoops and have headaches with an 'opensource, Linux-friendly' HP product.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    I assume your "problem" stopped existing, whilst I had on HP in linux had zero of them; so for me, this thread is closed regardless of what or whom you troll further.
    I didn't accuse you of being a troll but you have done so to me twice.

This, imho, is the reaction of someone who doesn't like another opinion so they steep so low to call someone a troll.

I'm not sure how you were trying to help. I noted boasting about one's printer working. Nothing else. Also, I'm not sure how you would help anyway. Do you have 'VirtualPC' or whatever Linux equivalent?

I am not sure whether having one printer work proves HP is good and likewise, my three HP printers 'not working' properly doesn't assert they don't either. But, my experience SUGGESTS TO ME that HP's quality has dropped significantly and wondering if I'm 'the only one', I googled to find a lot of reports of HP 'issues.' I made a conclusion and yes, posts in a forum don't make it so but it's my conclusion, like it or not.

The only praise I notice HP getting is for the open source but the printers themselves don't work for me so my deductive reasoning suggests these devices are not worth the money or headache. I never called anyone a troll, though. I just thought posting pictures of my post was a sign of arrogance but I guess no one figures to consider what the other person would perceive.

Anyway, I am not considering HP printers any more so I am done with the original question. From now on, I'll take a look at Canon, Epson and even Lexmark if I need a multi-function and/or inkjet. I already have a Samsung laser.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    I don't have to read any more of your post after such comments.
    Look at your comments first.

Because one fluky printer works proves nothing.
    Yes, my printer does *street magic*, you know.

The pattern is a small fractional percentage might work but then your version or definition of 'working' is probably different anyway.
    If my definition of "working" is different from your definition of "working" why was I able to publish your "speech" on my "working" "small fractional percentage", whilst you assume, from your "possible" tests, that 3 printers define whole global amount of all HP printers available, instead of using your head to narrow the problem to specific cause or RMA it.

Okay, maybe the Russian water is a problem for you or something.
    So? I don't care if you can speak 10 or 20 languages. I'm not here for language tips.
    Apparently you are.

You seem to just want to beat your chest and cause friction.
    I was here to help you solve your problem. Then it *suddenly* seems you don't have any and is here for trolls. Who is causing friction, Unlubricated One?

So, when these types of posts are presented, they mean nothing, huh?

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1224840
    Your are as seeking for the solution, as "Stephen R Smith" from that thread. Im not HP representative and this is just a normal guarantee case.

Do others a favor and don't bother with your great printer. I really don't care.
    It is not against the forum rules to help someone posting the problem. Lying, bashing and trolling however are.

I assume your "problem" stopped existing, whilst I had on HP in linux had zero of them; so for me, this thread is closed regardless of what or whom you troll further.

Leave a comment:

• Beiruty
    replied
    Can we go back to regular programing?

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    FYI I speak four languages.
    So? I don't care if you can speak 10 or 20 languages. I'm not here for language tips.

You seem to just want to beat your chest and cause friction.

So, when these types of posts are presented, they mean nothing, huh?

Do others a favor and don't bother with your great printer. I really don't care.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    [B]HP WORKS PERFECTLY
    I don't have to read any more of your post after such comments. Because one fluky printer works proves nothing.

There's tons of references to HP printers working poorly or not at all how they're supposed to. I stated normal operation of 3 HP printers I have tried have failed, in particular, scanning functionality. The rep of HP software is poor and well known.

The pattern is a small fractional percentage might work but then your version or definition of 'working' is probably different anyway.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    So, your response is to post to the forum my comments?

HP PRINTERS ARE GARBAGE. Deal with it.
    FYI I speak four languages.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    So, your response is to post to the forum my comments?

HP PRINTERS ARE GARBAGE. Deal with it.
    Turn off your adblocker. I have posted three pictures for you: a screenshot with installed software for printing, Openoffice Writer with your response, HP utility showing I have printed it out and scanned it back, xSANE preview for your response that was printed on B209 and scanned by it.

I also posted two 12Mpix images unscaled so you can stop doubting of the printer I have and the printer with your response printed near it.

HP WORKS PERFECTLY and you, Sir, are a liar, troll and pointless person. DEAL WITH IT.

PS: If you or anyone else do not believe that HP works - go for it: post me a task to print or scan something and I will do it as a proof.

PPS: I have not expected it from you, Panix. This is one of the reasons I took time to post such detailed answers to help with your problem.

PPPS: Have fun with your furnace.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X