Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Hey Panix! What did you end up buying?
    Because right now I have b209a sitting in front of me, that started to make traces. I have soaked the Q-tip as HP recommends in alcohol and cleaned the head - nothing. Then I have soaked it in hot distilled water, as HP recommends too, and after that all RGB colors stopped to print correctly, they print as if it is ink shortage; yet when printing via printers menu, it does not appear. I soaked again and now black color is not working - at all. After 2 days eaten by this printer (on xmas!) Im done. Lots of dirty paper, dirty working - even when normally printing there are excessive amounts of ink on head - and cleaning process is actually crap - the ink is thrown inside a container residing in printer itself. This guy is way too messy and too stupid to use.
    Im looking for color laser, which is both cheap in buying and cheap in refilling(original or not) and supports linux. Konica Minolta 2550 sounds fine, right now. I dont have 1000$ to invest in Ricoh, neither I will print 24k pages in year.
    After some time, I think I will invest in sublimation printer specially for photos.
    I ended up not buying anything.

Good idea to buy a color laser, though, imho. My next printer will probably be a color laser. I really would like a scanner so that was part of the reason I was looking for an inkjet (multifunction).

I suggest looking for a Samsung, Brother or Lexmark (maybe even in that order?). A common model in those brands might offer the best chance at finding cheap ink/toner and I'd look for an online vendor who will ship to your area (as cheap as possible). Most of those have some Linux support but probably enough to run in native Linux.

When I get around to it, I want to get one and a genuine scanner (only scans) which I'll use in Windows or VirtualBox (don't see why it wouldn't work in that setting). The Samsung CLP-325 is around $100 but if you need better models, most in those brands are probably $200+.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      I ended up not buying anything.

Good idea to buy a color laser, though, imho. My next printer will probably be a color laser. I really would like a scanner so that was part of the reason I was looking for an inkjet (multifunction).

I suggest looking for a Samsung, Brother or Lexmark (maybe even in that order?). A common model in those brands might offer the best chance at finding cheap ink/toner and I'd look for an online vendor who will ship to your area (as cheap as possible). Most of those have some Linux support but probably enough to run in native Linux.

When I get around to it, I want to get one and a genuine scanner (only scans) which I'll use in Windows or VirtualBox (don't see why it wouldn't work in that setting). The Samsung CLP-325 is around $100 but if you need better models, most in those brands are probably $200+.
      Hey, thanks for reply!
      Yeah, the problem with multifunction, is, as once nice site says: you get a little bit of everything and a little bit cut from everything in terms of quality.
      With Lexmark I have biggest fears - their inkjets and their lasers all maintain similar policy - high maintaince costs. Check color laser 54x series, the color transfer module costs around 250$, 2/3 of printer!

When you buy laser, you almost certainly need toner - many used printers are sold without those. Toners can cost from 70$ to 200$ per one color - and they have different range - from 1000 to 8000. So thats one major point.
      Difference can be huge here. For example HP printers and konika printers toners cost around same, but HP has 1500 pages, and konika 4000pages @ 5% coverage.

Then, you need fixer, which burns away as you print (70$-200$) and excessive toner collector(20$-50$).

Then, depending on model - you have either one drum, that covers all colors (for printers that print color in several passthroughs - they have very very long color print time compared to sw); or individual drum for each color.
      Those cost you again 50$-240$.

There are color laser printers that cost litterally 20$, because they have all above mentioned internals removed. Ahaha, talking about "cheap", laser printer is by far not cheap. Inkjet is much cheaper when using alternative good ink, but its messy, and I already had printhead gone dry. 40$ cost by HP. Not bad,.. but I don?t really want to mess with inky ink again. By all that very good photo quality, I have decided that it just aint worth it - it is similar to dot-matrix, they are cheap, but they have design flaws.

By the way, OKI printers are the only one that seem to ignore the "secret government stenographic yellow dot tracking pact". This is crazy, I mean, if they don?t want us to print money, introduce algorithms in firmware, why mess our prints? :/

Sublimations are ultimate for photo printing, laser has photo possible as well (on special laser photo paper), but sublimation are best. They cost too though.

Btw, yesterday I missed one fine piece @ 80% toner volumes for 70$. Dang.

Comment

HP Photosmart 4780 all-in-one, it's all working fine with either USB or Wifi connection.

I wouldn't recommend Canon, their drivers are often binary-only, or 32-bit only, or just for old Fedora Core without any update for more recent distros.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
          HP Photosmart 4780 all-in-one, it's all working fine with either USB or Wifi connection.

I wouldn't recommend Canon, their drivers are often binary-only, or 32-bit only, or just for old Fedora Core without any update for more recent distros.
          Thats correct, but wait till your inkjet head gets dried out :P

Comment

HP does not have heads. The cartridges themselves directly print the things onto the paper (that's why they are more expensive than canon cartridges). After replacing a cartridge you don't need any cleaning work, just alignment which is done on the printer itself without needing to do a linux-incompatible thing on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Hey, thanks for reply!
              Yeah, the problem with multifunction, is, as once nice site says: you get a little bit of everything and a little bit cut from everything in terms of quality.
              With Lexmark I have biggest fears - their inkjets and their lasers all maintain similar policy - high maintaince costs. Check color laser 54x series, the color transfer module costs around 250$, 2/3 of printer!

When you buy laser, you almost certainly need toner - many used printers are sold without those. Toners can cost from 70$ to 200$ per one color - and they have different range - from 1000 to 8000. So thats one major point.
              Difference can be huge here. For example HP printers and konika printers toners cost around same, but HP has 1500 pages, and konika 4000pages @ 5% coverage.

Then, you need fixer, which burns away as you print (70$-200$) and excessive toner collector(20$-50$).

Then, depending on model - you have either one drum, that covers all colors (for printers that print color in several passthroughs - they have very very long color print time compared to sw); or individual drum for each color.
              Those cost you again 50$-240$.

There are color laser printers that cost litterally 20$, because they have all above mentioned internals removed. Ahaha, talking about "cheap", laser printer is by far not cheap. Inkjet is much cheaper when using alternative good ink, but its messy, and I already had printhead gone dry. 40$ cost by HP. Not bad,.. but I don?t really want to mess with inky ink again. By all that very good photo quality, I have decided that it just aint worth it - it is similar to dot-matrix, they are cheap, but they have design flaws.

By the way, OKI printers are the only one that seem to ignore the "secret government stenographic yellow dot tracking pact". This is crazy, I mean, if they don?t want us to print money, introduce algorithms in firmware, why mess our prints? :/

Sublimations are ultimate for photo printing, laser has photo possible as well (on special laser photo paper), but sublimation are best. They cost too though.

Btw, yesterday I missed one fine piece @ 80% toner volumes for 70$. Dang.
              The cheapest Samsung and Brother color lasers are around $100 - $200 and combo toner just under $200 (1000 to 2000 pages; varies), at least at the vendor I usually deal with for printers. I bought toner for a cheap HP inkjet that eventually became junk, officially. I currently have a Samsung ML-2510 but the toner is way cheaper for a monochrome laser, obviously.

I think printers nowadays are deteriorating in quality so I would need a lot of reasons to buy an inkjet now. The HP I had was junk and I used a very similar one at a workplace before and it would always paper jam and smudge. HP is already going down the drain and if you check their support page for Linux, there's 'end of support' for many models. Wouldn't buy one even if it was on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                HP does not have heads. The cartridges themselves directly print the things onto the paper (that's why they are more expensive than canon cartridges). After replacing a cartridge you don't need any cleaning work, just alignment which is done on the printer itself without needing to do a linux-incompatible thing on the computer.
                I wonder why does my HP B209a-m has head that is dried up? :P
                Also HPtool for Linux seems to disagree with your statement, because it has both cleaning and aligning functions
                The cleaning function is different from that that is accessible via build-in menu. This is one of (my) reasons for pro HP on linux.

Comment

Maybe something here will give you some ideas?: