• Show
Clear All

• 10" RadeonHD(MI) netbooks

Hi!

I'm looking for a netbook and I want:

*Radeon Mobility HD discrete GFX

*HDMI output

*10" screen

I know MSI do a Wind netbook with Radeon GFX and HDMI but AFAIK only with a 12" screen - 12" screen is creeping too much into notebook/laptop sized territory IMO.

I have read about the eeePC 1000Hv which does tick all my boxes but I cannot find one for sale in the UK, did it ever get a UK release? If not, is there anything else with these specs that is available here and now?

Thanks!

why do you want Radeons to drive a 8.9" screen? Intel IGP is powerful enough to do that, and current driver is better.

Comment

I don't think any 10" netbooks with discrete graphics exist.

If you want HDMI on 10" you are mostly limited to Intel GMA500/poulsbo, (eg. in Dell Mini 10, Nokia Booklet 3G) or some netbooks with NVidia ion chipset.

If you want AMD Graphics on 10", there is AFAIK only Kohjinsha Dual Screen DZ Series (2x 10.2", RS780MN) on sale. Depending on where you live though.

Comment

FunkyRider:

8.9"? I said ten inch and one of only three things I specified is that it must have HDMI output. Did you read my questions at all? Higher power consumption excepted, why would anyone NOT want discrete gfx on a netbook, especially if your wanting to play HD content?

Chitanh:

Your evalution of the current situation is about right it seems. I've heard of kohjinsha but I don't think I'd seen their DZ series! I didn't know what to say when I saw it! Who wants dual-screen on a 'portable' device? Is this marketing/electronics gone mad? Somebody out there must've wanted dual screen on a portable or this is just a marketing ploy to get attention for KJS?

I've had a good look now an the nearest to what I'm looking for thats available is the Acer Ferrari - if that had HDMI out, same-res screen but 10.1" instead of 11.x"and in a smaller enclosure then you've got what I'm after essentially- a decent congo based netbook. There is also the eee PC 1201T but 12" screen so its more-like-a-laptop form factor time again. I think 10" is the sweetspot for netbooks- it turns notebook after that in my eyes and I'd like a good netbook to track the development of the foss ati drivers on
        Last edited by danboid; 04 December 2009, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Any news?

My girlfriend is looking to buy a netbook now. She prefers Linux and so she was asking me for a recommendation and I would like to be able to point her towards a 10 or 11" netbook with VGA, HDMI and ATi graphics.

Any news on any such devices, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
            My girlfriend is looking to buy a netbook now. She prefers Linux and so she was asking me for a recommendation and I would like to be able to point her towards a 10 or 11" netbook with VGA, HDMI and ATi graphics.

Any news on any such devices, anyone?
            Smallest ATI based system I know of is 11.6 inches and the graphics are not discreet but IGP solutions.

Comment

11.6" is still OK but I see it as an absolute upper bound before it becomes a notebook/ laptop.

What 11.6" netbooks with ATi IGPs are there now then? Is congo an IGP and how does Congo stack up to ION LE?

I'm looking forward to Michael comparing the perf. of the FOSS ATi drivers to fglrx and I would hope he includes an ATi IGP in his tests.

Comment

Thanks Deanjo!

Don't think I'd seen the Toshiba before and that seems to tick all my boxes but I can't find a UK retailer for it. Maybe its not been released in the UK yet or has a different name over here? The Ferrari is quite nice but no HDMI.

I'd also like to find out how noisy these things are. My dad bought a HP/Compaq Mini 311 and he's happy with it but I wouldn't put up with the fan which is like a mini hairdryer. Thats OK in desktops and servers and maybe beefy laptops but I do find it off-putting and 'wrong' in netbooks.

Comment

That's good to know! I didn't realize that the HP/Compaq Mini 311 is that loud. I was thinking of getting one myself. I like Toshiba products so I'll have to check them out a bit more before I make a decision. My latest purchase was one of those touch screens and I really like it because I think it's way superior to the mouse which is technology that was developed something like 30 years ago. I'll avoid the Mini 311 when I go shopping though. Thanks!

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                  Thanks Deanjo!

Don't think I'd seen the Toshiba before and that seems to tick all my boxes but I can't find a UK retailer for it. Maybe its not been released in the UK yet or has a different name over here? The Ferrari is quite nice but no HDMI.

I'd also like to find out how noisy these things are. My dad bought a HP/Compaq Mini 311 and he's happy with it but I wouldn't put up with the fan which is like a mini hairdryer. Thats OK in desktops and servers and maybe beefy laptops but I do find it off-putting and 'wrong' in netbooks.

Comment

Working...
                  X