Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 41 To Replace Power-Profiles-Daemon With "Tuned"

Phoronix: Fedora 41 To Replace Power-Profiles-Daemon With "Tuned"

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee has approved of Fedora 41 switching from power-profiles-daemon to "Tuned" as the default power profile management daemon on Fedora Workstation as well as the KDE Plasma and Budgie desktop spins...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't realise TuneD was was a Red Hat project.

Comment

Having read into this proposal and Tuned, I don't understand its advantage, aside from what it seems to be more of an in-house version of PPD.

Do I have that wrong?

(EDIT: I do have that wrong)
      Last edited by Mitch; 18 June 2024, 01:54 PM. Reason: Fix some things

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Having read into this proposal and Tuned, I don't understand its advantage, aside from the fact that it seems to be more of an in-house version of PPD.

Do I have that wrong?
        Both PPD and Tuned was developed by Red Hat. So calling one of them in-house is not correct. PPD was developed for the desktop use case only. Tuned is more general purpose and has more profiles and advanced options. Consolidating them into one service makes it easier to maintain and offers more flexibility for users as well by default as has been cited by the change proposal and the article as well.

Comment

Damn, they stole my idea. I planned to find some time and rewrite tlp into a modern daemon+cli and wire it up to p-p-d dbus interfaces.

Comment

They should have replaced the power profile daemon with TLP. The power and customizability of TLP is unmatched for laptops. Tuned has been used on servers for a long time, but it's not a ideal solution for a desktop or a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by danger View Post
              They should have replaced the power profile daemon with TLP. The power and customizability of TLP is unmatched for laptops. Tuned has been used on servers for a long time, but it's not a ideal solution for a desktop or a laptop.
              It will be ideal with the proxy layer to expose the same set of options as ppd. Power users can skip that. Or, at least, that's what I understand from their proposal.

Comment

Overloaded instance? It's just the tuned process casually burning 100% CPU.

It was the RHEL 7/8 era but still... It wasn't good.

Comment

Python should be banned from being used for daemons (all interpreted languages in fact).

Comment

Fedora and Ubuntu is back to competing! I hope we hear more from the Ubuntu side as well. They are all in on further 24.04.n development and of course also 24.10 development which will include the coming accent color theming options.

Comment

Working...
                    X