X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrum Master
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What are the best network cards for Linux in your opinion?
    The problem relies in fact, that for home users we cannot choose those so freely unless you plug in an AIC, so you cope with the integrated pain. You end up either with Realtek 81xx, Intel 225/226 or in rare cases the AQC107, this year there are upgraded versions thou, but I am not that filthy rich to upgrade each year... All of them actually had or have problems. But personally lately the Realtek 8125 gave me less headache of them all(because those are most basic without advanced features that fits for me as a home user), the new 8126 are also unstable, I see why BSD people hate those. But on other side I see complaints also about AQC113, but I haven't heard more complaints about AQC107 and Synology also uses them in their NAS devices, I would need a replacement, I would take that one today.

With intel I am more frustrated about the attitude. That's my point. I suffer from random network dropouts at boot, I have to hard reboot the device again to fix it. The culprit may be in the fact, I am still one of rare people actually using it at max 2.5GbE speed as my router allows me it. If more people would do it I think the stink around I225 would come out even more.

Leave a comment:

• pb72
    replied
    While I do agree that not all Intel NICs are bad, the i225 and i226 seem to tend toward trash based on the reports I've heard from others. And to a smaller degree the i219 (the predecessor to the i225 and i226; which also had similar problems of its own).
    Last edited by pb72; 10 June 2024, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferrum Master View Post
    What about igc? Exactly the dreaded i225 I also have in one NAS device and it acts like on meth if I wont cut off HW offloading. They are so secretive about this flop, including the v3 revisions. Gigabyte offered me to send the board to Taiwan to flash it themselves. There are preconditions, it sometimes becomes write locked, sometimes not, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But Intel strictly forbids sharing the latest firmware fixing some issues and GB reps are helpless. If someone here has the lastest toolset, please PM me.

Intel is going downwards spiral in many areas, including networking. I can agree they were good... but not anymore. They will come back for sure, but you cannot be blind and deny the obvious, each last generation has some flops, igb often panicking, detaching from PCIe is not fixed imho up to this day. They have nothing upon their sleeve to be priced more and their support is rather... wishful. Sleeping on their old laurels...
    What are the best network cards for Linux in your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Ferrum Master
    replied
    What about igc? Exactly the dreaded i225 I also have in one NAS device and it acts like on meth if I wont cut off HW offloading. They are so secretive about this flop, including the v3 revisions. Gigabyte offered me to send the board to Taiwan to flash it themselves. There are preconditions, it sometimes becomes write locked, sometimes not, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But Intel strictly forbids sharing the latest firmware fixing some issues and GB reps are helpless. If someone here has the lastest toolset, please PM me.

Intel is going downwards spiral in many areas, including networking. I can agree they were good... but not anymore. They will come back for sure, but you cannot be blind and deny the obvious, each last generation has some flops, igb often panicking, detaching from PCIe is not fixed imho up to this day. They have nothing upon their sleeve to be priced more and their support is rather... wishful. Sleeping on their old laurels...

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    I'm sorry, but I don't consider rene a troll or a clown. He may be controversial, but he usually provides solid facts.

He has his home lab and does youtube videos, but he also maintains a Linux distro to LOTS of platforms (many vintage servers and such).

He does many more, as he's an experienced developer woth both low level and high level programming from apps to drivers. He is the managing director of ExactCODE, practically the owner. He contrinutes to SANE. He also joined the TWAIN Working Group Board of Directors.

I understand he is weird and controversial but I agree tons with him after very carefully understanding and considering the facts he provide.

In the case of Intel, astroturfing and corporate marketing may brainwash us. Intel does bad hardware, but they have giant developer armies to apply workarounds massively. And after titanic efforts, it even may in some cases and more popular hardware to work better than a crappy realtek.

AMD has good hardware, bad software.
    Intel has bad hardware, good software.
    No company has both?

Why not AMD and Intel merge?
    As NotMine999 wrote in their post, the fact that people have problems with a specific model, the i225, does mean that you can start to spread FUD about other models or the company as as whole. I use Intel NIC:s in every single server and have had zero NIC related issues on thousands upon thousands of servers, so to suddenly go to "Intel NICs will destroy the planet" is a bit rich.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    The problem with Intel is not their chips or their software, they actually regarded as one of the most stable and supported network hardware you can get for Linux.

The issue is that anyone can purchase intel chips and re-brand it themselves, sometimes even uploading custom firmware and this is where you get these problems. Can particularly be a problem with cheap MOBO's or off/no brand chinese manufacturers

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Originally posted by mifritscher View Post

The thing is: That are no lies. I had the problem bricking an Intel NIC myself - a Windows driver update killed the eeprom on an integrated Intel Nic on a Dell E6410 (Westmere Gen).
    Additionally, at least from Westmere to Skylake generation, HW Offloading produced currupted packets every few minutes. At least 5 machines, both laptos and servers, where affected. I disable HW offloading routinly now.
    To add more anecdotal evidence: my i40e ate NFS packets, no host could establish nfs connections to the machine. I had to update firmaware and disable all sorts of offloading in the uefi setup page to get it working again.
    The sr-iov support is nice though.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post

If you merge them, you will get bad hardware + bad software.
    I tought the same later

Leave a comment:

• mifritscher
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

That is complete and utter nonsense. Such lies.
    The thing is: That are no lies. I had the problem bricking an Intel NIC myself - a Windows driver update killed the eeprom on an integrated Intel Nic on a Dell E6410 (Westmere Gen).
    Additionally, at least from Westmere to Skylake generation, HW Offloading produced currupted packets every few minutes. At least 5 machines, both laptos and servers, where affected. I disable HW offloading routinly now.

Traces:
    * https://support.arcserve.com/s/artic...language=en_US
    * https://community.intel.com/t5/Ether...an/td-p/635930

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied

AMD has good hardware, bad software.
    Intel has bad hardware, good software.
    No company has both?

Why not AMD and Intel merge?
    If you merge them, you will get bad hardware + bad software.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X