No announcement yet.

Libinput 1.26 Rolls Out New Features, gsetwacom Introduced To Replace xsetwacom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.26 Rolls Out New Features, gsetwacom Introduced To Replace xsetwacom

Phoronix: Libinput 1.26 Rolls Out New Features, gsetwacom Introduced To Replace xsetwacom

Red Hat's Peter Hutterer is out with two important updates to the Linux input stack: libinput 1.26 has released for this input handling library used both by X.Org and Wayland systems and then secondly he has announced the "gsetwacom" CLI program as a replacement to the "xsetwacom" program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news ! Particularly gsetwacom. Yet another data point showing the inevitable death of x.org. So long X and thanks for the fish. But it’s time to finally move on to the 21st century before we get half way through.

Comment

Why does the outer dead touchpad zone not get addressed? Is it supposed to remain sucky for all eternity vs. Windows/Synaptics?

Comment

The gsetwacom program is replacing xsetwacom due to that older program being tied to the X11 input driver. With gsetwacom, it works under Wayland
        A command-line implementation to avoid Wayland's immature (non-existant) ecosystem. I wonder if we will see more of this in the future.

If Wayland as a concept supported a consistent API library (aka libX11 or libXCB), I am fairly sure this would have been used instead. Sure, with libwayland-client you can draw pixels but you can with libdrm too...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

A command-line implementation to avoid Wayland's immature (non-existant) ecosystem. I wonder if we will see more of this in the future.

If Wayland as a concept supported a consistent API library (aka libX11 or libXCB), I am fairly sure this would have been used instead. Sure, with libwayland-client you can draw pixels but you can with libdrm too...
          It's replacing xsetwacom, which is ALSO a command-line program. Does this mean X11 has an immature/nonexistent ecosystem?

Comment

libinput would be a lot nicer to deal with if it didn't need compositor specific settings here, udev rules there, and probably some configuration in my hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

It's replacing xsetwacom, which is ALSO a command-line program. Does this mean X11 has an immature/nonexistent ecosystem?
              how you dare use facts and logic against he lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Does this mean X11 has an immature/nonexistent ecosystem?
                Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post

how you dare use facts and logic against he lol
                You both probably don't know this but xsetwacom has been around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

You both probably don't know this but xsetwacom has been around for a while.
                  Which is why it's worth making a replacement for.
                  Also, why you lot complain either way?
                  No replacement: see, it's bad
                  Gets a replacement: see, it's bad

Comment

i like that it's gonna be the same (x-less) lib for both x.org and wayland

i'm not so sure it's good news that the "x" is being replaced by a "g" though... was this lib exclusive to gdk/gnome before? or is a Gnome dev doing the "just for Gnome" dance over something that was previously used everywhere? or an I reading too much into it and it's just the name but it will still be ok to use everywhere regardless?

can we get more x, g and k -less stuff or is it really this hard to build stuff that works for everyone (as in why not call it simply "setwacom")?
                    Last edited by marlock; 08 June 2024, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X