No announcement yet.

Dell "PC Extras" Driver Slated For Linux 6.11 - Initially To Control Fan Modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell "PC Extras" Driver Slated For Linux 6.11 - Initially To Control Fan Modes

Phoronix: Dell "PC Extras" Driver Slated For Linux 6.11 - Initially To Control Fan Modes

Queued into the x86 platform drivers' "for-next" branch ahead of the Linux 6.11 kernel cycle is the "Dell PC Extras" driver. Initially this new dell-pc driver is used for controlling fan modes via the Platform Profile setting on capable systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It always amazes me that most of the platform support for large brands comes from independent developers.

Comment

There is any way to know if my Dell laptop will use it before the kernel release? Like a command to check for support.

Comment

Originally posted by mhalano View Post
        There is any way to know if my Dell laptop will use it before the kernel release? Like a command to check for support.
        The smbios-thermal-ctl command can check this capability. From https://github.com/dell/libsmbios

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          It always amazes me that most of the platform support for large brands comes from independent developers.
          I know right. And of course the OEMs make proprietary garbage that is unique to each manufacturer so I would imagine there is minimal code sharing between drivers. Hat tip to the devs who make laptops work better on anything not Windows!

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            Kinda makes sense though - in being the largest brand, they have the largest reach. Statistically, they're more likely to reach someone willing to put in the volunteer work to fix what the OEM won't.

Despite Dell's claims to be Linux-friendly, that's only for certain models as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, they need to minimize development costs for the sake of shareholders or whatever.

Comment

Working...
            X