Rumblings in the Linux Audio World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSSv4 is a piece of shit.

I tried it a few days ago and it was completly and utterly broken. So much about 'better'. The only good thing was the mixer app. That was cool. The rest was a suckfest.

With alsa I need nothing to do to get working sound every time. With OSSv4 sound suddenly went completly nuts, everything sounding like machine gun fire in a steelmill. Working one moment, not working, working again, not working until reboot (or loading alsa).

CRAP. Pure, refined, crap.

Just don't use idiotic sound deamons like pulseaudio-shit, gstreamer-garbage, esd-manure or artsd-urine and you should be very fine with alsa.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      Less so than ALSA.

With OSSv4 sound suddenly went completly nuts, everything sounding like machine gun fire in a steelmill. Working one moment, not working, working again, not working until reboot
      This sounds like what ALSA looked like here. OSS4 is what solved problems for me.

Your post is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Less so than ALSA.
        It depends for who. For me, ALSA is perfect.

Just don't use idiotic sound deamons like pulseaudio-shit, gstreamer-garbage, esd-manure or artsd-urine and you should be very fine with alsa.
        Amen :>

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          If, by POS, you mean plays music without skipping or throttling my CPU, and gives me better sound quality than ALSA, then yes, OSS4 is a POS.

Just don't use idiotic sound deamons like pulseaudio-shit, gstreamer-garbage, esd-manure or artsd-urine..
          For reference, esd and arts are effectively dead. gstreamer and pulseaudio aren't simple mixer daemons. BTW, gstreamer apps work perfectly for me with the OSS4 sink/backend.

..and you should be very fine with alsa.
          Even if I ignore the aforementioned problems, the problem with your logic is that not all apps use ALSA. Some developers value cross-platform compatibility and/or dislike the ALSA API.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            If, by POS, you mean plays music without skipping or throttling my CPU, and gives me better sound quality than ALSA, then yes, OSS4 is a POS.
            Maybe you have pulse audio enabled? This throttles CPU sometimes even up to 10%.

Comment

Is there a good rationale document anywhere for the ALSA stack in general? I've seen some solid arguments for the in-kernel architecture, but I'm wondering how it's all supposed to fit together and what the point of a new userland API is.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Less so than ALSA.

This sounds like what ALSA looked like here. OSS4 is what solved problems for me.

Your post is crap.
                because I am telling the truth? That your beloved OSSv4 is nothing but a big piece of failure?

I had no problems like that with alsa EVER. Sound going haywire from one moment to the next? Only happend with oss.

Anothe fine story with oss.

I am so glad ALSA exists - it works out of the box. It does not corrupt my sound (cpu load? Nope), it does not clobber the floating point infrastructure of the kernel.

Seriously - OSSv4 uses kernel space floating point math - it can't get any more braindead.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

For reference, esd and arts are effectively dead. gstreamer and pulseaudio aren't simple mixer daemons. BTW, gstreamer apps work perfectly for me with the OSS4 sink/backend.

Even if I ignore the aforementioned problems, the problem with your logic is that not all apps use ALSA. Some developers value cross-platform compatibility and/or dislike the ALSA API.
                  so they can use openal or sdl for handling sound. That way they don't have to deal with either alsa nor oss and are truely platform agnostic - or does OSS exist in Windows?

Comment

And ALSA has too much latency (I shoot with the gun and hear the *BAM* later), the sound skips when there's heavy system load, there's no freaking per-application volume level (for heaven's sake, IT'S 2009!) and sound stops when an OSS-only app tries to play something at the same time as something else.

Your beloved ALSA is a piece of crap too, but I maintain my position that OSS4 is less crap than ALSA.

PS:
                    And about in-kernel FP, so what? Other places in the kernel use MMX/SSE/whatever, and they all share the same register set as the floating point unit. Big deal. And they do have a reason to use it: high quality mixing/resampling without the sound going broken CD with system load (like ALSA).
                    Last edited by RealNC; 27 June 2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Maybe you have pulse audio enabled?
                      The last time I did the ALSA experiment, I used Arch Linux (64-bit) and built ALSA 1.0.18 from source (no pulse) just to make sure it wasn't a Debian/Ubuntu issue. It finally enabled my headphone jack, but it still sucked in the ways I (and RealNC) listed.

I have a discrete sound card with a hardware mixer, so I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have no reason to try ALSA again.

Comment

Working...
                      X