Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Librem Server v2 Announced: $2999 USD For A 9th Gen Core i3 With 16GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Librem Server v2 Announced: $2999 USD For A 9th Gen Core i3 With 16GB RAM

Phoronix: Purism Librem Server v2 Announced: $2999 USD For A 9th Gen Core i3 With 16GB RAM

The folks at Purism have announced their latest product in the form of the Librem Server v2. Starting out at $2999 USD, these new servers are built around four-year-old 9th Gen Core CPUs already discontinued by Intel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lets say we are a small, under-funded startup with really juicy industrial secrets, something that is worth competitors to try to steal. Wouldn't be more cost effective to try to stop any leaks with a well configured firewall, instead of relying on more expensive computers inside the company?

Comment

What? they put the cheapest low end desktop in a server rack and request 3000$? Without CRC RAM?

This sounds more like "donate 3000$ and get a little thank you from us".

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Wouldn't be more cost effective to try to stop any leaks with a well configured firewall, instead of relying on more expensive computers inside the company?
      How would a firewall safe you from infected USB-Sticks, phishing/male-ware mails and similar intrusion techniques?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Lets say we are a small, under-funded startup with really juicy industrial secrets, something that is worth competitors to try to steal. Wouldn't be more cost effective to try to stop any leaks with a well configured firewall, instead of relying on more expensive computers inside the company?
        On-site security combined with better standards and practices if you really want to go there. You'd be surprised how many hacks start from a dumpster dive or someone pretending to be someone else during a phone call.

By standards and practices, just look at the latest US government classified information leak. They didn't even need a hacker. It was just some jackass kid bragging about how he has high level security clearance in a gaming forum, someone said prove it, so he leaked classified information and proved it. It doesn't matter how well of a job the tech companies do when you have the kinds of standards and practices that allow some jackass kid to have access to everything.

To answer your question, it's both. You'd want the well-configured firewall running on the more expensive vetted computers inside the company. By vetted, I mean something that runs as much security audited FOSS as possible from the microcode and firmware to the OS and applications being ran. It doesn't matter how well that expensive secure server is configured if it isn't in a physically secure location that's both protected and accessed (physical or virtual) by professionals. If your server is in a closet in the lobby that's only being watched by your nephew Brad "interning" during his summer vacation, that's on you.

Comment

Well, considering that you can get a quite powerful (used) 80 Thread OpenPower 8 for just $299, ... ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neTyPX4plmY

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            What? they put the cheapest low end desktop in a server rack and request 3000$? Without CRC RAM?

This sounds more like "donate 3000$ and get a little thank you from us".

How would a firewall safe you from infected USB-Sticks, phishing/male-ware mails and similar intrusion techniques?
            I thought it was pretty pricey, too, but then I went and priced those $3K Raptors that Michael talked about. It's $3K for the motherboard and CPU and closer to $5-6K for a competed, ready-to-use Raptor from them.

That's the cost you pay for a vetted, secure system. However, this system is a bit of an oxymoron. Secure x86 . That's why we pay $2K for a case, power supply, fans, memory, and OS storage for a Raptor when I paid around $400 for all of those components in my current PC. That's the cost of security. The so called "Apple Tax". An "Apple Tax" exists any time you want a premium product. That's the cost of doing ultra-secure business.

Comment

Wow, being schizophrenic is an expensive hobby these days.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                By standards and practices, just look at the latest US government classified information leak. They didn't even need a hacker. It was just some jackass kid bragging about how he has high level security clearance in a gaming forum, someone said prove it, so he leaked classified information and proved it. It doesn't matter how well of a job the tech companies do when you have the kinds of standards and practices that allow some jackass kid to have access to everything.
                based kid

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  It was just some jackass kid bragging about how he has high level security clearance in a gaming forum, someone said prove it, so he leaked classified information and proved it.
                  Simple solution - round up all the gamers into prison camps. If you offered free weed and Taco Bell, most of them would show up themselves and walk right into the prisons. So you could solve the whole problem for less than $2,999.

Comment

It is very odd to see security and discontinued hardware together. It is either one or the other.
                    Also price is nothing short of insane.

Comment

Working...
                    X