No announcement yet.

Corsair MP700: PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD But Not Without Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine paying 200% premium just to get PCIe 5.0 drive....sigh, THEY always think they can markup new tech and get away with it. Don't buy this crap. I was buying a 1TB WD SN850 last week for $85 and it already seemed tad high for 1TB, but this drive is worth extra premium over $60 1TB 970 Evo Plus (my 2nd choice) .

What mostly matters to me are random single threaded 4k reads, which I don't think there are drives that broke 100MB/s read speeds. 7~10GB/s sequential reads do nothing for daily performance, absolute rubbish.

Comment

What happened with the Samsung drive? It shouldn't perform this low…

Comment

Motherboard manufacturers and the SSD manufacturers are going to have to find a long-term solution to the thermal issues. As things stand it seems impossible for the cpu-linked NVME slot to be 'below' the primary PCIe slot, because if the user has a graphics card it will overhang the slot, preventing bulky heatspreaders from used and, usually, fire hot air straight onto that SSD. If the NVME slot is 'above' the x16 PCIe, things are better, but there are still issues with not knowing how far the back of a graphics card will overhang, and how bulky of a CPU cooler will encroach on the other side. None of these considerations existed when the ATX standard was adopted. I'm not sure the solution includes replacing ATX, but all of these ad-hoc solutions have issues. It's vastly annoying to have to consider not only the dimensions of a graphics card, and a CPU cooler, but also the SSD's heat sink in combination with those. It's unnecessarily complex and we need a better design.

To begin with, motherboard manufacturers need to include a method to adequately cool a PCIe 5 SSD if they provide a slot for one (which they have been moving slowly towards on expensive boards at least), and the SSD manufacturers need to take more care about thermals in their designs. I don't know what they expect the power draw to be on a PCIe 6 or 7 controller chip, but now is the time to handle the issue.

Comment

I'm frankly astonished at the heat a Samsung 980 puts out into the little NVMe/USB caddy I've got for it. Case gets absolutely scorching hot after prolonged transfers.

Although filesystem errors from overheating... that's rather frightening.

Comment

It's interesting how hardware has scope-creep -- in the beginning GPU's were meant to only take 1 slot -- then they took 2 and in some cases 3.

NVME was meant to be slim and then progressively the heatsinks kept getting larger.

Then just odd changes like PCI-E hard drives and the length of GPUs really pushing the limits -- progressively getting longer and requiring more and more and more power connectors.

Computing & hardware specs sure are odd.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              It's interesting how hardware has scope-creep -- in the beginning GPU's were meant to only take 1 slot -- then they took 2 and in some cases 3.

NVME was meant to be slim and then progressively the heatsinks kept getting larger.

Then just odd changes like PCI-E hard drives and the length of GPUs really pushing the limits -- progressively getting longer and requiring more and more and more power connectors.

Computing & hardware specs sure are odd.
              Well, there's always 2.5 inch form factor which servers still use. And they come with heatsinks as well.

Comment

Not good at all, seems to be a rush job by Phison to get the high sequentials on the box marketing which sells to this crowd. I reckon that my top of the line Phison E18 based Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB is hardly any slower if this thing mostly got destroyed by a WD SN850, which is not even the latest model with the newest NAND on a PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Comment

Working...
                X