Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwupd 1.8.13 Adds Firmware Updating For Framework's Audio Card, ThinkPad TBT3-TR Gen 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.8.13 Adds Firmware Updating For Framework's Audio Card, ThinkPad TBT3-TR Gen 2

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.8.13 Adds Firmware Updating For Framework's Audio Card, ThinkPad TBT3-TR Gen 2

Fwupd/LVFS lead developer Richard Hughes of Red Hat released Fwupd 1.8.13 as the newest feature update to this open-source firmware/BIOS updating solution for Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's surprising how few consumer products can be updated with this powerful tool.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      It's surprising how few consumer products can be updated with this powerful tool.
      not a single thing on my system is supported by it and it really sucks. i bet if it became compatible on windows we would see more consumer hardware support for it.

Comment

The point is that you can install Samsung etc firmware on consumer devices with this tool...but they have to be OEM parts of a Dell, Lenovo etc. PC

Comment

FWIW, some Logitech wireless dongles can be updated by the tool. Found out through serendipity. No one should be surprised so few consumer grade devices are supported, though. Mainstream Linux on the desktop is still barely a statistical blip and largely only a thing with a few OEMs or VARs targeting what they seem to think is the pro developer market.

Anecdotally I think it's mostly the hobbyist market that does Linux desktops. Example there's a slow shift away from Windows to Linux in the ham radio hobby with strong interest in cheap, power efficient, but still adequately performant ARM boards like the Pis, BeagleBoards, etc. Windows just doesn't run well on low power ARM devices and some of us have been burned by Microsoft's forcibly updating working drivers to broken ones with no recourse (or breaking the underlying API code meaning a 10 year old fully functional device no longer works on Windows but still works flawlessly on Linux). There's still the occasional gotcha, like with some of the cheap Chinese DMR radios being dumped on the market some of which can only be programmed easily on obsolete versions of Windows despite being newish products. Lesson: avoid cheap DMR radios without checking to see if they are compatible with CHIRP. Personally, I'm just avoiding DMR entirely at this point because many of the programming groups are only contactable on Facebook and I won't have anything to do with FB. Ever.
          Last edited by stormcrow; 29 March 2023, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            FWIW, some Logitech wireless dongles can be updated by the tool. Found out through serendipity. No one should be surprised so few consumer grade devices are supported, though. Mainstream Linux on the desktop is still barely a statistical blip and largely only a thing with a few OEMs or VARs targeting what they seem to think is the pro developer market.

Anecdotally I think it's mostly the hobbyist market that does Linux desktops.
            I'm not sure if you understand this but fwupd + efi capsule update + firmware upgrades don't have any relation with Linux. They're universal and useful for all OSes. Doesn't fwupd even have preliminary support for Windows as well?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Doesn't fwupd even have preliminary support for Windows as well?
              Yes, but only for some USB devices. Windows does capsules in a different way, and it's probably quite a few days of work to do it properly. The number 1 issue is getting vendors to upload firmware. We've just passed 10,000 different devices being supported on the LVFS, although only 6443 are public at this time. We're growing every year, and I can see more and more vendors using the LVFS - but we're not going to get there overnight. This is a marathon, not a sprint

Comment

Originally posted by hughsie View Post

Yes, but only for some USB devices. Windows does capsules in a different way, and it's probably quite a few days of work to do it properly. The number 1 issue is getting vendors to upload firmware. We've just passed 10,000 different devices being supported on the LVFS, although only 6443 are public at this time. We're growing every year, and I can see more and more vendors using the LVFS - but we're not going to get there overnight. This is a marathon, not a sprint
                I hope one day Samsung will push their stuff. Thx for this great platform anyway!

Comment

hope Someday Motherboard companies will start using this

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
                    hope Someday Motherboard companies will start using this
                    It's super frustrating knowing things I'm not allowed to share. Good things will come to those who wait.

Comment

Working...
                    X