No announcement yet.

AMD & Intel Sound Platform Updates For Linux 6.2 Along With Other Audio Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD & Intel Sound Platform Updates For Linux 6.2 Along With Other Audio Updates

Phoronix: AMD & Intel Sound Platform Updates For Linux 6.2 Along With Other Audio Updates

While the Linux 6.1 stable kernel isn't even being released until later today, there already have been a number of feature pull requests submitted for the upcoming Linux 6.2 kernel cycle. Due to the merge window being the two weeks leading up to Christmas, those with generous holiday/vacation time have been sending in their pull requests in advance. One of those early pull requests is all of the sound subsystem updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got so used to my Audigy 2 ZS (or whatever the exact model was) that for the new all-pci-express rig I've bought the Creative SB PCI-E that is basically the same Audigy model even with the PCI-E interface bridged on the board to the old PCI.
    Love its hardware MIDI synth.

Comment

@ Michael Larabel : I think you meant "smattering" not "smothering."

Comment

Summied?

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
          Got so used to my Audigy 2 ZS (or whatever the exact model was) that for the new all-pci-express rig I've bought the Creative SB PCI-E that is basically the same Audigy model even with the PCI-E interface bridged on the board to the old PCI.
          Love its hardware MIDI synth.
          I used an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 PCI card (Envy24HT chipset) for years. It was a wonderful card for listening to music with headphones and it also did other analog audio very well for a reasonable price. It's a shame that VIA had to buy it, because that was good hardware, but VIA drove it into the ground with crappy Windows 7 drivers. At least it stayed useful in the Linux world for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I used an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 PCI card (Envy24HT chipset) for years. It was a wonderful card for listening to music with headphones and it also did other analog audio very well for a reasonable price. It's a shame that VIA had to buy it, because that was good hardware, but VIA drove it into the ground with crappy Windows 7 drivers. At least it stayed useful in the Linux world for a while.
            I'm using a Terratec card with this chipset. Daily. It's one of the best chipsets you can get - as long as you have a PCI slot.
            But I suppose you can easily get a mainboard with decent onboard sound nowadays, if you have an eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
              I'm using a Terratec card with this chipset. Daily. It's one of the best chipsets you can get - as long as you have a PCI slot.
              But I suppose you can easily get a mainboard with decent onboard sound nowadays, if you have an eye on it.
              Yeah, I got an Aorus board with very nice analog audio (Realtek ALC1220). It's not quite as good as my old M-Audio Revo, but it's a significant upgrade over the old onboard stuff that used to come with midrange or low-end mobos.

Nowadays, I've moved on to a DAC, Yamaha receiver and bookshelf speakers. My ears don't like headphones the way they did when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, I got an Aorus board with very nice analog audio (Realtek ALC1220). It's not quite as good as my old M-Audio Revo, but it's a significant upgrade over the old onboard stuff that used to come with midrange or low-end mobos.

Nowadays, I've moved on to a DAC, Yamaha receiver and bookshelf speakers. My ears don't like headphones the way they did when I was younger.
                my issue with a lot of these boards supremeFX asus boards are that they have real good headphone dacs (in my case ESS ES9023P​), but they are only wired up to front panel headphone port. which means unless you go out of your way to get a case with nice insulated cable, or buy one yourself, it's pretty much useless. so you are stuck using the ALC1220's dac anyway.

Comment

While I have a box of sound cards from over the years, M-Audio, Creative and finally Asus Xonar, I have settled unto using an external DAC in my Allen & Heath ZED mixer.

It's a PCM29xx USB audio CODEC from Texas Instruments and requires no special driver.

I have several other DAC's, but I like the sound of this one. It works for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X