Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Box64 0.2 Gets DXVK 2.0 Running, Many Other Improvements For Emulating x86_64 On Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box64 0.2 Gets DXVK 2.0 Running, Many Other Improvements For Emulating x86_64 On Arm

Phoronix: Box64 0.2 Gets DXVK 2.0 Running, Many Other Improvements For Emulating x86_64 On Arm

In addition to the very successful FEX-Emu emulator for enjoying Linux x86/x86_64 games on AArch64 and other x86/x86_64 software on Arm there is also the Box86 and Box64 projects with similar goals. Out today is Box64 v0.2 and Box86 v0.2.8 for running Linux binaries on other architectures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How I'd love to do this on my M1 MacBook Air or a Qualcomm computer. I love the battery life but MacOSX just isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
      How I'd love to do this on my M1 MacBook Air or a Qualcomm computer. I love the battery life but MacOSX just isn't my cup of tea.
      You only buy the M1 because battery life? i buy a lenovo this days with a ryzen 7 5700u and have most of time 10h of bat life using linux (web development)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        I'm in the same boat. AFAIK Qualcomm is planning to release some new chips in 2023, based on Nuvia's designs I think. There's also some laptops with 8cx gen3 but I'm not sure how linux friendly they are. Overall I'd say the future looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

You only buy the M1 because battery life? i buy a lenovo this days with a ryzen 7 5700u and have most of time 10h of bat life using linux (web development)
          The M1 laptops not only have insane standby/hibernation time (using maybe 1% a day, if that), they also reliably and instantly enter and come out of sleep when closing the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

The M1 laptops not only have insane standby/hibernation time (using maybe 1% a day, if that), they also reliably and instantly enter and come out of sleep when closing the lid.
            I've never had any issues with coming out of sleep after opening the lid, nor do I know anyone that has issues like that…

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I've never had any issues with coming out of sleep after opening the lid, nor do I know anyone that has issues like that…
              Recent AMD APUs are notorious for having sleep issues. AFAIK Rembrandt still isnt fixed in released kernels, and my G14/4900HS still isnt quite right.

This has nothing to do with ARM/x86 though, just platform and OS support.

Comment

i've found that box is a much less useful tool than fex for the things that i use it for. i have an m1 macbook pro and i run linux inside of a vm. most of the software i would want to run are old 32 bit only games. most stuff that is 64 bit that i would want to run already has an arm version natively available. apple's m1 doesn't support 32 bit instructions so you can't actually even use box 32 to run said applications. fex supports 32 bit on 64 bit. i suspect as more and more arm cpus move toward dropping support for 32 bit instructions that fex will increasingly become the only feasible solution for people.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Recent AMD APUs are notorious for having sleep issues. AFAIK Rembrandt still isnt fixed in released kernels, and my G14/4900HS still isnt quite right.

This has nothing to do with ARM/x86 though, just platform and OS support.
                  My 6850u APU on my Thinkpad Gen 3 does sleep extremely well. It's virtually instant to sleep or wake. It has some other things that may get in the way of the battery life it theoretically should have like power usage controls. Hopefully 6.2 will let us choose Cool N Quiet and get maximum battery life and minimum heat and noise.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Can you link a model?

Comment

Working...
                    X