No announcement yet.

Finally, A Creative X-Fi Driver Going Into ALSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried AC3/DTS pass-through and after while AV receiver lost signal. I've also tried it on Windows 7, there is everything OK so no hardware problem. Normal PCM stereo digital-out works properly.

Comment

I should report that I now have been running an X-Fi XtremeGamer connected to a 7.1 processor via optical out on the card for 3 days straight with no failures. I am using a driver from unstable (not the released driver posted on the ALSA site). Analog sound is also very good.

The spdif failures I reported earlier seem to have been corrected. The only complaint that I do have is alsamixer not behaving exactly right but that is OK - xine, mplayer controls work fine.

Comment

By unstable you mean http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...a/alsa-driver/ ?

Comment

I tried that one and the others in dev. I found this one (http://www.moobash.com/cont/alsa-dri...napshot.tar.gz) that works...

Comment

I have tried that driver and still had problems. The one I found was references in an ALSA forum - it is alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz located at moobash.com/cont

Comment

Thanks, with that driver AC3/DTS pass-through works for me(x-fi xtrememusic)

Comment

ALSA v1.0.21-4 seems to work fine on Mint Linux 7 x64.

Comment

Which x-fi card are you using and where did you get the driver?

Comment

I'm using the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Super Mega Duper Fatality edition. Mine is really the x-treme gamer Fatality card. It doesn't have the front panel though.

I just installed ALSA v1.0.21. There is a tutorial on how to do it.

Follow the tutorial and you should be fine. Keep in mind that Mint 8 will have native support as Ubuntu 9.10 already has the driver backported to 1.0.20.

Comment

I did a Ubuntu 9.10 install to replace 9.04 on this machine and my x-fi works right out of the box. I'm so glad that all my hardware works without having to install drivers save for nVidia, build-essentials, and proprietary codecs.

Comment

Working...
                      X