Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 To Have Working Support For Xbox Elite Paddles, Expanded Controller Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 To Have Working Support For Xbox Elite Paddles, Expanded Controller Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 To Have Working Support For Xbox Elite Paddles, Expanded Controller Support

A number of improvements to the XPad input driver are slated to be included with the upcoming Linux 6.1 kernel to better handle the Microsoft Xbox controllers and other derivative designs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wired controller is so 2000s. I wonder why they don't use xpadneo in the kernel

Comment

while I do like xbox controllers, I myself prefer ps5 controllers, but it's nice to have more options

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        Wired controller is so 2000s. I wonder why they don't use xpadneo in the kernel
        ​​​​​
        I believe xpadneo only covers Xbox controllers connected through Bluetooth (Xbox one and series s|x).

So you'd still need xpad for wired controllers and the old Xbox 360 USB wireless adapter.

Then there's the xone driver which covers the official Xbox one and series s|x wireless adapter which uses the proprietary protocol.
        It also supports the audio jack which is nice.

But yeah for a complete experience it would be nice if xpadneo and xone were also upstreamed.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Latency.
          Except not. In many cases modern controllers are setup to be faster over wireless, Like the Ds4/Ds5. Ds4 runs 250hz in usb by default but 1000hz in bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivarnis View Post

Except not. In many cases modern controllers are setup to be faster over wireless, Like the Ds4/Ds5. Ds4 runs 250hz in usb by default but 1000hz in bluetooth.
            if only it was that simple

Comment

That's fine but I still prefer to use Xbox 360 controller in PC. It just works and it's well supported by games.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                That's fine but I still prefer to use Xbox 360 controller in PC. It just works and it's well supported by games.
                I have a small collection (Xbox360/One, PS4, Logitech F710, Steam Controller) and I can confirm that. While "Steam Input" did much to increase compatibility, there still a couple games over there that will occasionally refuse to work with anything but a 360 controller, especially older indie games.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  while I do like xbox controllers, I myself prefer ps5 controllers, but it's nice to have more options
                  I don't. The d-pad is horrible and it misses inputs that my PS4 and 8bitdo don't. Not only that, out of all my controllers its battery drains the fastest and take the longest to charge. It's freaking annoying needing to charge a controller in the middle of the one or two days a week I play games for long periods of time.

When using it wireless it is only guaranteed to be usable on Windows since a lot of games don't pick it up correctly unless I have DS4Windows set to emulate a 360. Steam Input doesn't seem to help, Windows or Linux. Both Linux and Windows wireless, with some games it appears as a generic controller and may or may not work. When it doesn't work wireless, some games work wired and actually detect it as a PS5 controller. Then the next game you play it isn't detected properly wired...

Regardless of the OS, its drivers aren't very good.

I can deal with all of my complaints except for the d-pad. It causes me to lose combos in THPS and that's unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Latency.
                    + Not having to dick around with batteries, especially in the middle of some ranked match.
                    + The Linux Bluetooth stack always seems a bit janky, and I have to re-pair my controllers way more often than on Windows.
                    + Potentially avoiding driver issues for a wireless receiver if not using Bluetooth.

Comment

Working...
                    X