Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 To Have Working Support For Xbox Elite Paddles, Expanded Controller Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by SilverFox View Post

    Latency.
    + Not having to dick around with batteries, especially in the middle of some ranked match.
    + The Linux Bluetooth stack always seems a bit janky, and I have to re-pair my controllers way more often than on Windows.
    + Potentially avoiding driver issues for a wireless receiver if not using Bluetooth.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by MastaG View Post

      ​​​​​
      I believe xpadneo only covers Xbox controllers connected through Bluetooth (Xbox one and series s|x).

      So you'd still need xpad for wired controllers and the old Xbox 360 USB wireless adapter.

      Then there's the xone driver which covers the official Xbox one and series s|x wireless adapter which uses the proprietary protocol.
      It also supports the audio jack which is nice.

      But yeah for a complete experience it would be nice if xpadneo and xone were also upstreamed.
      xone actually works for wired controllers as well. That's what I'm using for the 8Bitdo Ultimate Wired Controller I picked up recently.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

        I don't. The d-pad is horrible and it misses inputs that my PS4 and 8bitdo don't. Not only that, out of all my controllers its battery drains the fastest and take the longest to charge. It's freaking annoying needing to charge a controller in the middle of the one or two days a week I play games for long periods of time.

        When using it wireless it is only guaranteed to be usable on Windows since a lot of games don't pick it up correctly unless I have DS4Windows set to emulate a 360. Steam Input doesn't seem to help, Windows or Linux. Both Linux and Windows wireless, with some games it appears as a generic controller and may or may not work. When it doesn't work wireless, some games work wired and actually detect it as a PS5 controller. Then the next game you play it isn't detected properly wired...

        Regardless of the OS, its drivers aren't very good.

        I can deal with all of my complaints except for the d-pad. It causes me to lose combos in THPS and that's unacceptable.
        I can't say i've had these issues at all. for compatibility, I have yet to run into a game that doesn't work with it. that being said, I now mostly play emulators and older games via wine, so that handles 90% of the leg work there, with only a few games being modern, but still I typically have good luck with it. and as for input dropping, I haven't once had this issue compared to it being constant on my PS4 controller. THAT BEING SAID, I can certainly see it, I think whats probably happening is that the dpad itself on the PS5 isn't really great and I need to really bottom it out, it has this mushy bump that is supposed to feel like a click. the click doesn't actually happen until a little bit after that, so I wonder if that it is what's causing the issues? it's not an issue for me personally, but I could see it happening.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

          if only it was that simple
          Literally is, has been well tested and documented, not a debate to be had here.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Kivarnis View Post

            Literally is, has been well tested and documented, not a debate to be had here.
            then whoever did those tests need to come to the real world, or those tests need to be re-interpreted. your polling rate doesn't mean jack if the connection isn't stable and consistent, something bluetooth is notorious for lacking.

            LDAC is a good codec in testing too, in the real world, it's pretty damn bad. Bluetooth connections can be interfered with someone even walking by on some radios, with the VERY vast amount of bluetooth modules make bluetooth unreliable at best, and impossible to use at worst, my laptop has a intel centrino n 2230, bluetooth is nearly unusable on it for anything that isn't very basic audio streaming.

            my desktop has one of those new intel AX200 wifi + bt combos where bluetooth on it is phenomenal, and I could listen to music on the other side of the house, and use a controller from a few rooms over.

            BT and wireless peripherals are usually only better then wired often in the "best case scenario". IE. sitting at your desk with no one walking back and forth with minimal obstructions between the radios.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

              then whoever did those tests need to come to the real world, or those tests need to be re-interpreted. your polling rate doesn't mean jack if the connection isn't stable and consistent, something bluetooth is notorious for lacking.

              LDAC is a good codec in testing too, in the real world, it's pretty damn bad. Bluetooth connections can be interfered with someone even walking by on some radios, with the VERY vast amount of bluetooth modules make bluetooth unreliable at best, and impossible to use at worst, my laptop has a intel centrino n 2230, bluetooth is nearly unusable on it for anything that isn't very basic audio streaming.

              my desktop has one of those new intel AX200 wifi + bt combos where bluetooth on it is phenomenal, and I could listen to music on the other side of the house, and use a controller from a few rooms over.

              BT and wireless peripherals are usually only better then wired often in the "best case scenario". IE. sitting at your desk with no one walking back and forth with minimal obstructions between the radios.
              Dude you're grasping straws, there is very elaborate details, sub ms based testing on this stuff with tracked results, it's not hard to find. Further the update rate on the sticks are also reduced even further in wired mode for DS4 at the least. This stopped being a thing a eon ago. wireless mice are more responsive and accurate than human beings at this stage and it's also well documented, let the past go world has moved on, you should too.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Kivarnis View Post

                Dude you're grasping straws, there is very elaborate details, sub ms based testing on this stuff with tracked results, it's not hard to find. Further the update rate on the sticks are also reduced even further in wired mode for DS4 at the least. This stopped being a thing a eon ago. wireless mice are more responsive and accurate than human beings at this stage and it's also well documented, let the past go world has moved on, you should too.
                ill move on when it actually works in the real world, sadly lab numbers don't translate.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

                  ill move on when it actually works in the real world, sadly lab numbers don't translate.
                  I forgot that dude's bedrooms and small studios are scientific labs and in some alternate universe where laws of physics and such change and the numerous professional gamers using wireless mice and controllers are using dimensional portals., my bad my bad, you're right.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Kivarnis View Post

                    I forgot that dude's bedrooms and small studios are scientific labs and in some alternate universe where laws of physics and such change and the numerous professional gamers using wireless mice and controllers are using dimensional portals., my bad my bad, you're right.
                    and no amount of lab testing can overcome the inherent flaws of bluetooth, like I said, when I can actually achieve it in my own home, with my own hardware, not the creme of the crop lab benchmarks that dont represent a real world usecase, then we can talk, but as it stands, even my AX200 bluetooth+wifi card, my better then average bluetooth setup, cannot compete with wired. it is still a very noticeable difference. because I don't live in a lab.

                    gamers using professional wireless device often also represent the best case scenario. being less then 3 feet away from the wireless dongle with minimal obstruction (not to mention those are typically NOT bluetooth). and as for the ones using controllers, who knows, maybe they also fall within that best case scenario, but we plebians who cannot afford to shell out hundreds of dollars to get the best of the bunch setups, get to deal with bluetooth issues like the rest of the world.

                    you clearly have no idea the sheer variance in quality of hardware. tell you what, go and personally find some results testing even 1/4th of the registered BT receivers in btusb.c in an "ideal HTPC" setup, being no visible obstruction between the htpc, and controller, at least 3-5 feet away, with antenna's on the other side of the system. (something extremely popular and actually achievable for the average joe). and then tell me that at least half of those will achieve suitable results.

                    until thats possible, wired will still be preferred.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

                      until thats possible, wired will still be preferred.
                      Rest of that fluff aside that tried to sound really smart, the only reason it is "preferred" is really really simple. Cheap. As price creeps, it isn't anymore. You have yourself a wonderful....whatever time of day it is though.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X