Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VEIKK VK1200 Drawing Tablet With 11.6-inch 1080p Display Works On Linux For ~$169

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEIKK VK1200 Drawing Tablet With 11.6-inch 1080p Display Works On Linux For ~$169

Phoronix: VEIKK VK1200 Drawing Tablet With 11.6-inch 1080p Display Works On Linux For ~$169

VEIKK is a company I previously hadn't heard of that offers a range of pen displays and drawing tablets for digital artists. At first when they reached out around reviewing one of their drawing tablets, I questioned their Linux support but it turns out their graphics tablets do work across all major platforms. I've been trying out the VEIKK VK1200 the past few weeks and it's been working out decent as a 11.6-inch drawing monitor for just $169 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

. Edit misunderstood .
    Last edited by tunnelblick; 17 August 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I was interested until you said "binary blob".

I'm still on a CPU from 2012 and, if it doesn't die on me, I'm likely to wait until 2024 or 2025 when the new fabs are slated to come online to replace it. It's bad enough that the end of nVidia's support window for Maxwell Gen1 is on the horizon and that, last time I tried it, one of my old USB IR remotes had picked up a bug in its LIRC kernel driver that was causing occasional kernel panics.

Comment

A phoronix benchmark would be a large robot arm drawing various radius large circles under linux vs windows.
        Then maybe image cap the hdml out and calc the bar graph for pixels set per second.
        or a remote controller car with a hole to hold the pen.
        Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 17 August 2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Bad news is the open source driver development stopped as soon as the binary driver was released. Of course having x86 only drivers does cause issue with using item with raspberry pi 4 and other items.

I do have a interesting question how does it work with chromeos out the box without need drivers??? Is google bundling this driver or is there some other trick?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            Bad news is the open source driver development stopped as soon as the binary driver was released. Of course having x86 only drivers does cause issue with using item with raspberry pi 4 and other items.

I do have a interesting question how does it work with chromeos out the box without need drivers??? Is google bundling this driver or is there some other trick?
            Neither Chrome nor Android need the driver so it seems like Google is bundling enough drivers to make them work with out proprietary blobs. Something was introduced in Chrome OS 88 because other drawing tablet manufacturers also advertise Chrome support with 88 and up.

Whatever the case, I know what I'd like for Christmas now (the 15" version).

Comment

Interesting. May get one for that price.

Comment

Veikk makes some pretty decent low budget tablets, I think they're trying to compete with huion more or less.

But I think this might be the first time a tablet is officially supported on linux besides wacom, it's a bit disappointing the driver isn't entirely open source though, it really should be, why wouldn't it be?

Comment

I wrote them about a week after they released the driver. The first package they released said it was LGPL. But the source code was not attached. I contacted them and they seemed to be confused about the license. They never understood that they released it with a file that claimed it was LGPL. They also refused to release the source code.

I donĀ“t really understand why they simply didn't try to send the existing driver to be officially supported, it would have been way cheaper and easier for everyone.

Also, there seems to be some issues with the closed source driver:
                  To all reading this, we finally have official Linux drivers available for download from the Veikk website, both in deb and rpm format. Here is the link: https://www.veikk.com/nav/14.html (Edit) New...

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Veikk makes some pretty decent low budget tablets, I think they're trying to compete with huion more or less.

But I think this might be the first time a tablet is officially supported on linux besides wacom, it's a bit disappointing the driver isn't entirely open source though, it really should be, why wouldn't it be?
                    Veikk is a bit more entry level, Huion is basically the premium brand of Chinese tablets, with high quality 1600p and 4k screen options and all the bells and whistles you'd expect. Huion also has official, closed-source Linux drivers, but I prefer OpenTabletDriver for its stability and insane feature set. I'm sure OTD either already supports the VK1200 or will add support in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X