Rockchip RkVDEC Linux Driver Being Prepared For HEVC/H.265 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockchip RkVDEC Linux Driver Being Prepared For HEVC/H.265 Support

Phoronix: Rockchip RkVDEC Linux Driver Being Prepared For HEVC/H.265 Support

The RkVDEC driver that is mainlined in the Linux kernel for supporting accelerated video decoding on select Rockchip SoCs has so far been focused on H.264 and VP9 video codec support. With a new patch series out on Wednesday, HEVC/H.265 acceleration is being ironed out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any hope for Rockchip RK3588 support as well?

Comment

Michael, could you set up a benchmark comparing NVENC, Amd's AMF ENC, Rockchip, Apple M1* with Linux. Also could you set this up as a Patreon/ bounty/ Kickstarter bonus for financing your lab?

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
        Michael, could you set up a benchmark comparing NVENC, Amd's AMF ENC, Rockchip, Apple M1* with Linux. Also could you set this up as a Patreon/ bounty/ Kickstarter bonus for financing your lab?
        This is IMO kind of hard, because half the people will also be interested in the quality of the output. Which I don't know how I'd start automating...

Ontopic: I can't believe I have to ask this: what API will this be available under? From what I understand, this is v4l2 stateless HEVC. Am I right? Who knows how to use this?

Also, I found this: https://github.com/bootlin/libva-v4l2-request/

Comment

benchmarks regarding speed are almost useless because NVENC, AMD, Apple M1, quicksync are faster then real-time encoding. There is not much to gain in speed here.

What is important is that quality varies a ton between encoders and so far Nvidia Turing encoder is winning that heavly as that is only hardware encoder supporting B-frames right.

Comment

I don't think Apple M1 hardware encoding has been tackled yet...

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

benchmarks regarding speed are almost useless because NVENC, AMD, Apple M1, quicksync are faster then real-time encoding. There is not much to gain in speed here.

What is important is that quality varies a ton between encoders and so far Nvidia Turing encoder is winning that heavly as that is only hardware encoder supporting B-frames right.
              AMD has finally increased the quality of H.264 hardware encoding on RDNA2. How much of a difference does it make?

I know very little about b frames but I happen to read this article a few days ago I don't know if this changes anything but I thought I should mention it

Comment

Just letting you note that RKVDEC is an hardware Decoder block...

Often I wonder how much valuable are comments on phoronix, where all people disguise as "experts" but then I read things that makes me think: "Is this totally a bullshit or am I so ignorant about?"

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Often I wonder how much valuable are comments on phoronix, where all people disguise as "experts" but then I read things that makes me think: "Is this totally a bullshit or am I so ignorant about?"
                  I'm disguised has a dick and expert on dicks

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

I haven't paid much attention on the VDEC part, thanks for bringing it up.

We're all imposters and experts here :-). It just depends on what's your reference point. I'm pretty sure even Linus regards some people as having more expertise on a topic than him. That is why he delegates, right? But comparing to the average kernel contributor, well... And the first time kernel contributors are experts to the average Linux app developers. Flexing on people not being knowledgeable on a topic does not really advance the conversation. There is always something you don't know even in your field of expertise.

As a sidenote, I was secretly hoping for an alternative to NVENC, at least an update on where we are. Well, I can say that the codecalamity.com/amd-re-introduces-the-b-frame/code article appears to have cracked the automation part of the benchmark. The numbers and acronyms (VMAF, PSNR) make me just scratch my head, though. Are these numbers a good measure of video quality?
                    Last edited by bogdanbiv; 14 July 2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X