Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwupd 1.8.1 Released With Firmware Updating For More HP, Corsair, PixArt, Lenovo Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.8.1 Released With Firmware Updating For More HP, Corsair, PixArt, Lenovo Devices

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.8.1 Released With Firmware Updating For More HP, Corsair, PixArt, Lenovo Devices

Mario Limonciello just released a new version of fwupd, the open-source firmware updating utility that integrates with the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for making it easy to update system firmware/BIOS on Linux as well as firmware for various peripheral devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do not use 'dongle' to describe USB receiver hardware
    That's how you tell me you've gone too woke without directly telling me you've gone too woke.

EDIT: LOL. This post is a prime example of why I shouldn't read the news first thing in the morning. It wasn't a woke removal, it was a more descriptive change.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 27 May 2022, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I really want to congratulate him because for thinkstation it works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        EDIT: LOL. This post is a prime example of why I shouldn't read the news first thing in the morning. It wasn't a woke removal, it was a more descriptive change.
        There is probably a lesson here, in that one should never post until after they have finished their first cup of coffee (or after they have consumed their second beer?).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

There is probably a lesson here, in that one should never post until after they have finished their first cup of coffee (or after they have consumed their second beer?).
          There really, really is. Do a search here about "first cup of coffee" and you'll see more excellent posts I've made early in the morning.

Comment

That's how you tell me you've gone too woke without directly telling me you've gone too woke.

The fact that you assumed the change was ideologically motivated, should make you wonder where else you apply the same bias.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

The fact that you assumed the change was ideologically motivated, should make you wonder where else you apply the same bias.
              That's simple. A lot of other organizations have been changing terminology away from potentially offensive names so when I see yet another organization making a change to a seemingly offensive term it's very easy to jump to conclusions. FWIW, dongle and forking got a guy fired when a woke person was eavesdropping and got offended (and the worst part is the woman who got the guy fired made a dick joke on Twitter a week earlier).

As far as wondering, I tend to apply a bias like that towards everything these days. I used to not be so biased about stuff like this, but society in the past decade and a half has changed so much that, unfortunately, I find it hard not to be.

Comment

updated: https://t2sde.org/packages/fwupd

Comment

FWIW, dongle and forking got a guy fired when a woke person was eavesdropping and got offended (and the worst part is the woman who got the guy fired made a dick joke on Twitter a week earlier)
                  Going by the article you linked, the person who made a public tweet about it themselves got harassed on social media after the person they tweeted about got fired, their organization DDOSed and they got fired as well. So I wouldn't call the jokes by either party the worst part here. It has ended badly for everyone involved.

It's not uncommon for developers to get harassed in conferences, get personal attacks including groping, death threats or racial attacks (been there, experienced that including in Phoronix personally) based on merely voluntarily working on some projects or commenting on technical aspects that others find controversial for whatever reasons so I wouldn't assume it's a problem with just "woke" people. The pendulum keeps swinging in both directions, occasionally too far in either direction. If they are technical term changes and they appear to be a net positive as the one you quoted here, I ignore the motivation since it is far less important than the change itself.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

indeed, woke individuals should check for their own internal woke bias as they tell others to check their privilege.

Comment

Working...
                    X