Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VP9 Encoder & Other Media Functionality Of Tesla's FSD Chip To Be Upstreamed In Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    it's a shame VP9 didn't take off the same way HEVC did, It is interesting to see VP9 being used here though.
    Yeah, though youtube is a big usage case. I think it didn't take off because there were (desktop) consumer GPUs with HEVC support for much earlier than VP9.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

Using the git protocol to exchange commits and branches is much more powerful than sending emails. And IMHO mailing lists are completely obsolete as a communication tool in general. The more they wait to replace the current system, the more "organisational debt" will accumulate and progressively hinder the project.
      Unclear why you believe that kernel developers aren't well suited for determining what works or what is obsolete for their needs and make their own choices including developing tools which they have done already, given said kernel developers include Linus who created git in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Yeah, though youtube is a big usage case. I think it didn't take off because there were (desktop) consumer GPUs with HEVC support for much earlier than VP9.
        theres that, and the encoder in ffmpeg is generally... not great it preforms good, but it's not fast enough for people, SVT-VP9 seems like it could be a good encoder, but it's too little too late. it's not like VP9 has much interest anymore since AV1 came to the scene.

Comment

I think even Nigerian people have computers with displays, what do you mean?
          I suspect the point was: you don't need a GUI to do kernel development.

Now, vi(m) or emacs?

Comment

> full-self driving technology

I didn't realise they were still making that false claim. The most recent report (covered on https://register.co.uk) shows it's still just absolutely hilarious. (if not for the fact that it's out there killing people already).

Comment

youtube is a big usage case. I think it didn't take off because there were (desktop) consumer GPUs with HEVC support for much earlier than VP9.
              jep, Gold star for you. That "fight" was over before it even began, and once done you're not going to transcode that sort of libarary *again* unless you're actually getting something meaningful out of it.
              VP9 is worse almost across the board, only winning on licensing costs - which for G are likely zero, but at a nominal 20% show that there was just no way at all to make it work, even with VP9 being another standard that G would own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                Linux mailing list.. Feels just like the 90s.
                Begone filthy casual.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
                  Impressive but obsolete...

Sometimes it's time to let go.
                  - choice of client: every user/contributor can chose his/her favourite program to use, and set up the workflow as desired. (no GUI available etc falls here too)
                  - email is the notification mechanism of choice anyway, why not also send all information within it?
                  - you can search emails much more easily than any of the mentioned tools(again, because of the possibility of "build your own", as the files can all be downloaded locally)
                  - offline review writing and sending in batches (at work we use github, the number of times it just lost all my comments because I did them on a train with no connection...)
                  - history - no smarts, only files means that preserving review history is easy. I have never seen review history preserved across any tool migration (gitlab -> github). Doesn't mean it can't be done, and one can argue that never having migrated from email, this hasn't been tested either.
                  - No need for a user to sign up, meaning theoretically that one off pseudonymous/anonymous patches are easily possible (security of this is a different topic)
                  - Everything is still possible offline, including search.

Where this falls flat on its face is any kind of automation such as required builds etc...
                  And the work required from each contributor to set up his environment isn't negligible either.

Using the git protocol to exchange commits and branches is much more powerful than sending emails.
                  Yes, and it is being used for that purpose. Look for "for you to pull up to commit XXX "emails on the ML.
                  The email flow is used for code review. A completely different use case, for which no VCS has ever been built, because it doesn't belong there.

Email, github or gitlab, doesn't matter, all is a layer (or multiple) above git.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                    I suspect the point was: you don't need a GUI to do kernel development.

Now, vi(m) or emacs?
                    I think almost anyone moved on from emacs around the Paleolithic period, but some walking talking fossils still remain.

Comment

I think almost anyone moved on from emacs around the Paleolithic period, but some walking talking fossils still remain.
                      It was a jokey comment about the vi(m)/emacs wars.

Comment

Working...
                      X