Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yump
    replied
    Friendly reminder that the encryption used by bluetooth has had multiple security flaws discovered in the past, and even if it were perfect, transmitting a burst of radio energy on each keypress invites the possibility of timing attacks.

Wireless makes sense for mice, because they have to be moved around, but the only good reasons to have bluetooth on a keyboard are Android and set top box media center PCs.

Leave a comment:

• Plombo
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    I happen to own a Keychron and enjoy it a lot but have been suffering from the lack of F* keys. Never realized it was down to a kernel bug. I don't really need these keys in "desktop mode" -- i.e. when my laptop is plugged into an external display and keyboard.
    It's less a kernel bug than a bad firmware decision on Keychron's part. Keychron's non-QMK keyboards all use the USB vendor/product IDs from a 2009 Apple keyboard; the "bug" was that the kernel expected them to actually behave like the device they claim to be.

Anyway, wild seeing a Phoronix article about something I did again after all these years.
    Last edited by Plombo; 18 May 2022, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EspadaV8
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianRamsay View Post
    I really like the slim Keychron 65% keyboard that I got, but I need to get bluetooth more reliable on my arch install before it will work wirelessly
    I found that the bluetooth went to sleep way too quickly so I disabled the auto-sleep and it's been a lot better since then. I think you can toggle it by holding `fn+S+O` for a few seconds.

Leave a comment:

• BrianRamsay
    replied
    I really like the slim Keychron 65% keyboard that I got, but I need to get bluetooth more reliable on my arch install before it will work wirelessly

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

Just some notes/opinions: I currently have an opto-mechanical keyboard with linear "red" switches. In my experience, from the viewpoint of typing speed and precision, tactile clicky "blue" switches are the best option and tactile "brown" switches are a very good option, while linear "red" switches are the most error-prone of these 3 options when typing text. I don't use keyboard to play games. Despite the fact that I estimate the lifespan of the "red" keyboard to be 10+ years because of its good build quality and absence of metal parts in the optical switches, I suspect that I will switch to "blue" or "brown" switches before its lifetime expires.
    Blues are fantastic and my second choice for typing, but IMHO, Box Whites are even better. Been using the Box Whites on my Ultimate Hacking Keyboard v2 since a few months now and they are everything Blues are, but better.

Leave a comment:

• jeisom
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    I happen to own a Keychron and enjoy it a lot but have been suffering from the lack of F* keys. Never realized it was down to a kernel bug. I don't really need these keys in "desktop mode" -- i.e. when my laptop is plugged into an external display and keyboard.
    You can put "options hid_apple fnmode=0 swap_opt_cmd=1" into a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d to get it working currently. The change is to make it automatic from a manual setup.

Leave a comment:

• yay101
    replied
    I bought a pair of the k2v3's with optical switches months ago and absolutely love them. You can manually change a value with the terminal or a script to toggle this functionality, I was too lazy to suggest this change so I'm glad someone did.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doomie
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    When will you manufacturers stop ignoring the fact Linux exists and is a thing? 2% marketshare doesn't mean it's meant to be ignored, because some of you even mention Chrome OS, which doesn't have that much more marketshare over Linux.

The picture does show "Linux", but the description reads:

Where. Is. Linux! It's not an alien operating system!
    there are enough of us that dell, etc, took notice. i can't remember how many builders.. but our numbers aren't shrinking. i myself was looking at one of these to replace my still-technically-working lycosa. i love me some flat/low-profile short-throw keyboards, and there are so few worth considering.
    Last edited by doomie; 14 May 2022, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    When will you manufacturers stop ignoring the fact Linux exists and is a thing? 2% marketshare doesn't mean it's meant to be ignored, because some of you even mention Chrome OS, which doesn't have that much more marketshare over Linux.

The picture does show "Linux", but the description reads:

Where. Is. Linux! It's not an alien operating system!
    In terms of new device sales, what we think of as Linux isn't even remotely close to Chrome OS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X