Apple M1 NVMe Support Slated For Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Red the other comments. It is replaceable, but the fact that the controller is in the SoC means the contents are lost.

You can swap it at home yourself. The software used is called Configurator 2 and anyone can run it.
    Yes but thats not entirely true, it is replaceable BUT if you replace it with a larger drive (even an official one taken from another Mac mini) then it will not work because there is an artificial software lock on it (and many people have confirmed the same behavior). The replacement only works if the drive sizes are exactly the same, otherwise you need Mac software they keep secretly to unlock the drives to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Yes but thats not entirely true, it is replaceable BUT if you replace it with a larger drive (even an official one taken from another Mac mini) then it will not work because there is an artificial software lock on it (and many people have confirmed the same behavior). The replacement only works if the drive sizes are exactly the same, otherwise you need Mac software they keep secretly to unlock the drives to make it work.
      As far as I know is does work just fine with larger sizes, HOWEVER you must use a supported config. If there isn't an equivalent configuration in a shipping version of the product, then there's no entry in the firmware tables. This also means that if the larger version uses one larger drive, you can't try to match it using two 1/2 size drives.

The "secret unlock" doesn't exist afaik. It's just Configurator 2. You may be referring to trying to swap drives without reconfiguring.

Comment

As far as I know is does work just fine with larger sizes, HOWEVER you must use a supported config. If there isn't an equivalent configuration in a shipping version of the product, then there's no entry in the firmware tables. This also means that if the larger version uses one larger drive, you can't try to match it using two 1/2 size drives.

The "secret unlock" doesn't exist afaik. It's just Configurator 2. You may be referring to trying to swap drives without reconfiguring.
        https://youtu.be/8IHqntr8FjY?t=660 I am referring to this, and yes they did use configurator but it only worked with the same drive sizes. With a different sized drive the configurator fails with an error and the machine just completely fails to boot.
        Last edited by mdedetrich; 10 May 2022, 03:58 AM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/8IHqntr8FjY?t=660 I am referring to this, and yes they did use configurator but it only worked with the same drive sizes. With a different sized drive the configurator fails with an error and the machine just completely fails to boot.
          Yes, but is that configuration of sizes one that apple ships in an existing SKU? The thing can't configure for a set of chips that isn't in the firmware table.

Comment

Yes, but is that configuration of sizes one that apple ships in an existing SKU?
            Well in order to buy a Mac Mini you have to specify the size of a SSD, its impossible to buy one without an SSD inside (i.e. you have to configure the size).

The thing can't configure for a set of chips that isn't in the firmware table.
            Sure that may be the reason but this is what I was saying earlier which is that its not possible to either upgrade or downgrade the size of the SSD in a Mac Mini (at least as a non Apple employee), you can only replace same size SSD's. Linus does have a point here which is that Apple did design and engineer it this way, I mean the whole thing is built inhouse.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 11 May 2022, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Well in order to buy a Mac Mini you have to specify the size of a SSD, its impossible to buy one without an SSD inside (i.e. you have to configure the size).
              That has nothing to do with what I asked. To make up some numbers, if apple only ever ships a 512 GB computer with one 512MB card, then it won't work with two 256GB cards. There is no entry in the firmware tables to make that work.

Sure that may be the reason but this is what I was saying earlier which is that its not possible to either upgrade or downgrade the size of the SSD in a Mac Mini (at least as a non Apple employee), you can only replace same size SSD's. Linus does have a point here which is that Apple did design and engineer it this way, I mean the whole thing is built inhouse.
              As far as I know you can upgrade to a different size just fine, so long as the combination of modules is one that apple ships in other machines.

Comment

That has nothing to do with what I asked. To make up some numbers, if apple only ever ships a 512 GB computer with one 512MB card, then it won't work with two 256GB cards. There is no entry in the firmware tables to make that work.

As far as I know you can upgrade to a different size just fine, so long as the combination of modules is one that apple ships in other machines.
                So I really don't understand what you are talking about, can you post a link explaining it?

Comment

Working...
                X