Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VESA Launches Compliance Test Specification For AdaptiveSync, MediaSync Displays

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VESA Launches Compliance Test Specification For AdaptiveSync, MediaSync Displays

    Phoronix: VESA Launches Compliance Test Specification For AdaptiveSync, MediaSync Displays

    VESA this morning announced an open standard and certification program around variable refresh rate (VRR) performance for AdaptiveSync displays for gaming and also around MediaSync for media playback performance...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Sync-Test-Spec

  • #2
    I like the way they broke this down into two bits.

    Comment


    • #3
      As required by the VESA Adaptive-Sync Display CTS, all displays must be tested in the factory shipping state or default factory mode configuration, as well as tested in ambient room temperature, in order to ensure the display is evaluated and certified under realistic user conditions.
      That's good

      Comment


      • #4
        Having not a lot of flickering is also a testing criterium, which is awesome IMO, as many of the panels that are "just" Freesync or Freesync "Premium" certified have brightness flickering issues in the lower end of the VRR range and/or when LFC kicks in.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is good, but its way overdue, I wish they would have done this years ago.
          Now they might be irrelevant as consumers are looking for G-Sync and FreeSync.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This is good, but its way overdue, I wish they would have done this years ago.
            Now they might be irrelevant as consumers are looking for G-Sync and FreeSync.
            VESA VRR/AdaptiveSync is a standard derived from AMD FreeSync in the same way that Vulkan is a standard derived from AMD Mantle.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

              VESA VRR/AdaptiveSync is a standard derived from AMD FreeSync in the same way that Vulkan is a standard derived from AMD Mantle.
              Yeah, and nobody cares about Mantle.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Having not a lot of flickering is also a testing criterium, which is awesome IMO, as many of the panels that are "just" Freesync or Freesync "Premium" certified have brightness flickering issues in the lower end of the VRR range and/or when LFC kicks in.
                That's why I recommend G-SYNC Compatible monitors, which NVIDIA tested and usually don't have those problems while still being "just FreeSync".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                  Yeah, and nobody cares about Mantle.
                  Because not even AMD cares about Mantle now that they have Vulkan. They recognized that the value of an API is in not being tied to a single hardware vendor.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looking at the testing criteria, you should pretty much always prefer the "gaming one" over the media one. if the panels are otherwise equal

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X