Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LVFS Launches "Fwupd Friendly Firmware" To Encourage OEMs/ODMs To Use Compatible ICs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Launches "Fwupd Friendly Firmware" To Encourage OEMs/ODMs To Use Compatible ICs

Phoronix: LVFS Launches "Fwupd Friendly Firmware" To Encourage OEMs/ODMs To Use Compatible ICs

The Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) has launched Fwupd Friendly Firmware as a new initiative for selecting original equipment/device manufacturers to select ICs that already boast Fwupd plug-ins for easing the integration of firmware updating support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol "dont eat fish cause we can't catch it. eat eggs instead"

Comment

One of these days I need to submit a pull request and get my 8bitdo Pro 2 supported.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        lol "dont eat fish cause we can't catch it. eat eggs instead"
        For Fwupd I'm afraid Catching fish violates IP laws in most jurisdictions.

Comment

zxy_thf that might be so, but i find it hilarious how they demand this only so that they can deliver their updates. it feels like its mandatory so that the world can go on. or is the article that is phrased in that way?

it feels so demanding from them to ask others to alter their products just so that they can make their software work.

Comment

I think it's more that they want to highlight hardware components that are supported by it. With the intention to grow the ecosystem. Both by new components and by new fw upd supported hardware.

Comment

it feels so demanding from them to ask others to alter their products just so that they can make their software work.
              I don't think it is demanding in any way. As an OEM, if you want to be sure the IC's that make up your product get the right firmware updates under Linux, you can now choose from the list of "Fwupd Friendly Firmware" and know the used hardware is included on LVFS. This might come in handy for future products if an OEM wants to expand more in the Linux market.

Of course if this initiative is a resounding success, it might entice/"force" more IHVs to use LVFS due to network effects. FFF becomes a selling point then.

Comment

If it helps, this is what I wrote to LVFS announce: https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pi...il/000070.html

The number 1 thing that gets commented on Phoronix is "but my hardware isn't supported" and this is a way of fixing that problem, longer term of course. We already support over 4000 different devices (with another 6600 in the pipeline), but hardware refresh cycles are measured in years, not weeks. We'll get there, and we're clearly winning the war, but it will take time. Moving the problem to the silicon supplier (e.g. Realtek) makes it easy for the OEM (e.g. Lenovo) to do the right thing for Linux users -- and that's what we want for more hardware to be supported.

Comment

r_a_trip well the thing is "under linux". but most of people use windows. unless they address the server side of OEMs.

Comment

but most of people use windows
                    The way I'm positioning fwupd friendly firmware is that it's an optional subset of the Works With ChromeBook certification. i.e. if you choose hardware that gets the fff logo then your WWCB certification journey is going to be painless. The fwupd project isn't just used on general Linux distributions nowadays...

Comment

Working...
                    X