Sony Contributes ~73%+ Performance Improvement For exFAT Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
    I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
    Basically any device with SD card support for the last years uses only exFat (including Android phones, GOPRO cameras, ...) so its very difficult to not use is entirely...

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      It is open source [snip].
      Well, (V)FAT and NTFS also have open source implementations. Though as other people have pointed out both of those have severe drawbacks.
      But what happened to the MS patents on exFAT?

Comment

Originally posted by catpig View Post

Well, (V)FAT and NTFS also have open source implementations. Though as other people have pointed out both of those have severe drawbacks.
        But what happened to the MS patents on exFAT?
        VFAT has size limitations and NTFS isn't really supported anywhere besides Windows and Linux (and only as a second class citizen for the latter). I think that MS expressly granted a patent licence on ExFAT for open source implementations.

Comment

Creates 1000 directories in 56 seconds ... I suspect there's still a lot of performance left on the table there. That's only 18 directories/second.

Comment

Personally I have started to format all my external drives and large USB keys as ExFAT. I used to have NTFS on my external HDD/SSDs since I often work with Linux and Windows boxes and it worked "alright" except for the occasional data corruption. I have since formatted the drives with ExFAT and I have been experiencing slightly increased read/writes and so far no data corruption. The only but I have (and it's minor) is the lack of long partition label support.

Comment

Working...
            X