Sony Contributes ~73%+ Performance Improvement For exFAT Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

That's good too, but I have to save it somewhere as I will not remember it.
    Thank you!
    One person mentioned the --help flag, but there's also the man pages. "man mkfs.exfat" works, but also works for config file like "man fstab". It's good to look up the --help or man page rather than notes or help online, since the variables might have changed from kernel versions.

Most people know the man pages can be used to get info on programs, but I didn't learn until embarrassingly recently that it has all (most) config file details too.

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
      That percentage figure is strangely inverted and not intuitive at all. I'd be saying it's four times faster!
      Yeah you have to read it like this: 73.8% of the time required before got cut through the patch. It's literally the relative improvement of time, where 0% would be no change at all and 100% would mean the operation takes no time anymore.

You're thinking about it in terms of operations per second which in the 64 KByte case would be like 3.82x or +282%.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
        I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
        Ofc, it really depends on one's use case. Check my old blog post. I'd say is probably the best FS choice for SD/microSD cards.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

That would be up for the Android project/vendors to do themselves. Mainline LTS doesn't go as far back and actively discourage using such old kernels, so it's not gonna happen on their side.
          Google/Android is starting an initiative for OEMs launching with Android 12(+), to use Generic Kernel Image (GKI). Getting that to all the phones out in the wild will be a multi-year process. But it will help a lot with fragmentation & easing the android update pain.
          Last edited by castlefox; 15 April 2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Book of Phoronix, Sony 5:19

In the beginning the surface was formless and empty.
            A engineer said let there be many lights and fast lights.
            And it was fast and it was good.

Even though micro$oft said there was a great love of Linux,
            we did not see the blood spilt.

Yet from sony it was like a lost son gave much blood and
            the Love of Linux flowed much.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

Google/Android is starting an initiative for OEMs launching with Android 12(+), to use Generic Kernel Image (GKI). Getting all the phones out in the wilds will be a multi-year process. But it thought help a lot with fragmentation & easing the android update pain.
              I'm aware. My point is that the backporting won't be done by mainline, not that it won't reach phones in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I'm aware. My point is that the backporting won't be done by mainline, not that it won't reach phones in any way.
                Gotcha. I was not aware of that.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Book of Phoronix, Sony 5:19

In the beginning the surface was formless and empty.
                  A engineer said let there be many lights and fast lights.
                  And it was fast and it was good.

Even though micro$oft said there was a great love of Linux,
                  we did not see the blood spilt.

Yet from sony it was like a lost son gave much blood and
                  the Love of Linux flowed much.
                  Amen.

Comment

Is this work because Sony uses exFAT in their products, or is Mr. Mo just doing everyone a solid?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Are you sure you've never used it? Basically every SD / microSD, and USB flash drive has come formatted with this filesystem for ages. Unless you specifically go out of your way to reformat them, there's a good chance many people have used it and not even known. E.g. they pulled some new new SD card out of its package and put it in a digital camera over a decade ago.
                      pretty sure only required on 64GB+ sd/microsd cards

Comment

Working...
                      X