No announcement yet.

Sony Contributes ~73%+ Performance Improvement For exFAT Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That percentage figure is strangely inverted and not intuitive at all. I'd be saying it's four times faster!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It is open source and has one HUGE advantage: like (V)FAT it offers perfect interoperability by being supported by everything and everyone. But unlike (V)FAT, it's 64 bit so it doesn't suffer from the same volume size limitations. I think (but don't take my word for it) that it also got rid of that horrible hack in VFAT that allowed long file names on top of the old 8+3 format. Instead it supports long file names natively.
      It's also the only Filesystem natively supported by both Wibdo s and MacOS allowing easy transfer or use of files between them

Comment

I'm wondering how this compares to the performance of ext4, ext3, ext2. Maybe even without journaling.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
          as very well pointed out by jacob it is the only filesystem able to be used adhoc by mac, win and linux without any size restriction. Perfectly for USB drives or smartcards. The imporatnce of this filesystem is quickly overseen since USB thumbdrives have reached sizes >4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            Very nice, but if its going to be used on 5.19 it will not affect a lot of mobiles. Most likely they have to backport it down to...3.x? or 4.19? dont know which one is currently used for Android phones. But usually its quite old old long long stable.
            Forget the improvements in 5.19, the exFAT driver itself was introduced in 5.4 so Android requires backporting or out-of-tree drivers anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              Very nice, but if its going to be used on 5.19 it will not affect a lot of mobiles. Most likely they have to backport it down to...3.x? or 4.19? dont know which one is currently used for Android phones. But usually its quite old old long long stable.
              That would be up for the Android project/vendors to do themselves. Mainline LTS doesn't go as far back and actively discourage using such old kernels, so it's not gonna happen on their side.

Comment

From Sony.... hmmm... hope it is carefully scanned for hidden root kits.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  From Sony.... hmmm... hope it is carefully scanned for hidden root kits.
                  This guy is an engineer in the DSLR division. The rootkit you speak of came out of the music group.

Completely different parts of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    Also I think the 73% is only measured in an extreme case where you use a small blocksize, mount using dirsync and create a lot of directories...

It's not going to do much for the average Joe..
                    If you look at the table, the improvement is greater for larger cluster sizes, not the other way around. Also no mention of block size here.

The test is extreme but that's no excuse not to read the relatively short bit of text about it.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                      I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
                      Are you sure you've never used it? Basically every SD / microSD, and USB flash drive has come formatted with this filesystem for ages. Unless you specifically go out of your way to reformat them, there's a good chance many people have used it and not even known. E.g. they pulled some new new SD card out of its package and put it in a digital camera over a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X